Nature vs. Nurture: The Role of Environment in Shaping Moral Behavior

• Medical
  • Thread starter venger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the physical differences between the brains of criminals and normal people may not be as clear-cut as we think.
venger
Is there anything that can distinguish a person who likes to steal, cheat the government, etc from honest people in the way they behave or brain activity. Or is it free will to obsess? In general, what is the foundation of finding righteous and evil people?

Biology news on Phys.org
There is an easy way to tell. People who act ethically are good, and those who do not are evil, no matter if their acts are not prosecutable under law or forbidden by moral code. Be very careful in trying to define "righteous" people because the most unspeakable crimes are often committed by people hiding under a cloak of morality and religious probity.

I remember an article that discussed the physical differences between the brains of normal people and criminals.
I can not remember when or where I found the article but if you do a search on "brain abnormalities and criminals" you will get a lot of hits.

sas3 said:
I remember an article that discussed the physical differences between the brains of normal people and criminals.
I can not remember when or where I found the article but if you do a search on "brain abnormalities and criminals" you will get a lot of hits.

Good google suggestion. I tried it and came up with a pretty good read on the subject here:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=33EF147A-E7F2-99DF-3696EF69D814FCFF
November 29, 2006
The Violent Brain
Violent behavior never erupts from a single cause. Rather it appears to result from a complex web of related factors, some genetic and others environmental.

I wouldn’t believe so... Well not noticeably different. I don't think you would be able to see a physical difference in brain matter or brain shape due to actions that an individual has taken. Though because of drug use, or brain damage the shape of the brain may be different and this may result in lack of judgments/ideas.

a mind is shaped by circumstances.
if you are a good person who helps those less fortunate and lead a good life...
do not be too proud of that. Its mostly the social situations and environment that shapes you.

here is an example.
identical twins are split at birth. 1 goes to a loving, caring family which lives in a good neighborhood.
the other twin is brought up in a poor family with abuse both mentally and physically from his foster parents. he lives in a high crime area.

thinking like this you can easily picture 1 of them as a successfull person and the other a hardened criminal.

1. What is the process for classifying an innocent brain?

The process for classifying an innocent brain involves conducting a comprehensive assessment of the individual's brain structure and function. This can include brain imaging techniques, such as MRI or CT scans, as well as cognitive and behavioral tests. The results of these assessments are then compared to established norms and criteria in order to determine if the brain is functioning within typical ranges.

2. What are the criteria for determining if a brain is innocent?

The criteria for determining if a brain is innocent may vary depending on the context. In legal cases, it may involve assessing the individual's mental state at the time of the alleged crime and determining if any mental disorders or impairments played a role. In other situations, such as in research studies, the criteria may involve comparing the individual's brain function to a control group or established norms.

3. Can a brain be classified as innocent or guilty?

In scientific terms, it would not be appropriate to classify a brain as innocent or guilty. The brain is a complex organ that can be affected by numerous factors, and it is not a direct indicator of an individual's guilt or innocence. It is important to approach brain classification with caution and avoid making assumptions or judgments based on brain function alone.

4. What are the limitations of classifying an innocent brain?

There are several limitations to classifying an innocent brain. One major limitation is that brain function and structure can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as genetics, environment, and lifestyle choices. This makes it difficult to definitively classify a brain as innocent or not. Additionally, brain classification is a relatively new and evolving field, and there is still much research to be done before we fully understand the complexities of the brain.

5. How can classifying an innocent brain impact society?

Classifying an innocent brain can have significant impacts on society, particularly in the legal and criminal justice systems. By better understanding the brain and how it functions, we may be able to improve our understanding of criminal behavior and develop more effective interventions and treatments. However, it is important to use this information ethically and responsibly to avoid stigmatizing individuals or making assumptions based on brain function alone.