Where Can I Find Experimental Data for Aero Engine Performance Validation?

In summary: I am also interested in this area.I think it would be best to find someone who has done the calculations and has some test data to share. If you can't find anyone locally, you may want to look into contacting some of the engineering schools in your area and see if they have the data.In summary, a ph.d student is looking for test data for an aero engine he is working on. He has found some data on the internet, but is not sure if it is physical reasonable. He is also interested in the calculation of the engine.
wenhai
I have calculated the compressor and turbine with the 1-D control volume method, what I need to do next is to simulate the whole aero engine. unfortunately, I could not find any aero engine case that contains the geometry and test performance, I am studying for my PH.D and am anxious about it, could anyone give me some hints that how could I find or buy such of the case?

thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a reason why test results are sparse...
Companies (GE, RR, etc) spend a lot of money collecting them either in their own labs or by others. Now what is it exactly that you would like to know?

thank you
I know the test results for the modern engine are confidential, however, some of the old engine test data may be possible. as we know, NASA has released some old compressors and turbines test cases, which could be found on the internet, but I did not find the case for the whole engine.
what I want to know is the geometry and performance of the engine, like the coordinate along the mean line, and the metal angle for compressor and turbine, the performance of the engine, so that I could compare the calculation results with the test data. which is part of my PH.D research.
the method we use is the 1-D control volume method solving the unsteady Euler equation with the source terms. the simulations with the compressor and turbine have been done by previous ph.d student, and I begun my PH.D last October, my professor wants me do the research in the field, but nowadays the 3-D solving N-S equations seem be the hot topics, and I also wonder whether it is possible to simulate the whole engine with 1-D method, what about the accuracy?
could anyone give me some suggestions?
thanks a lot

I can't say I have seen anything that goes from stem to stern in one treatment like you are looking for. If you look at something like Hill and Peterson's Mechanics and Thermodynamics of Propulsion, they discuss each type of component individually. It would be up to you to do it as a complete engine.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/ngnsim.html

thanks, FredGarvin, it is interesting program. you gave a good suggestion
in fact, I had discussed with my professor how we could simulate the complete engine, it seemed 2 possible way, one way is to calculate the component one by one, the other way is to calculate each component individually and research the influence between each component. I prefer the second one, because I am not sure that the first one is whether physical reasonable and calculational stable.
and is it meaning to simulate the complete engine with only 1-D method? I read many papers that only focus on one of the component of engine, just like the compressor, combustor or turbine...

I think the reason that is so is because of the incredible complexity inherent by putting all of the components together like that. For example, think of modeling a 3 or 5 stage compressor. A small change in say relative wind for the first stage can have cascading effects on the last stages. I can't say what it is like to try to add all of the items together. Then again, I have never had to go through matching engine components. That may be a good place to look into.

yes, the calculation for the multi-stages compressor will be sensitive and more unstable. the interaction between different component is a very interesting field, however, I need the test data to validate my calculation, It seems it is really hard to find available test data. How could I get the experimental data?
thanks

1. What is a test case for an aero engine?

A test case for an aero engine is a specific set of steps and conditions that are designed to evaluate the performance, functionality, and safety of an aero engine. It is used to verify that the engine meets all necessary requirements and specifications.

2. Why is it necessary to have a test case for an aero engine?

Having a test case for an aero engine is crucial for ensuring the safety and reliability of the engine. It allows engineers to identify and address any potential issues or defects before the engine is put into use, reducing the risk of accidents and malfunctions.

3. How is a test case for an aero engine developed?

A test case for an aero engine is typically developed by a team of engineers and scientists who are familiar with the engine's design and specifications. They will determine the critical components and functions that need to be tested and create a step-by-step procedure to evaluate them.

4. What are some common elements of a test case for an aero engine?

Some common elements of a test case for an aero engine include the specific parameters and conditions that need to be met, the expected results, and any necessary equipment or instrumentation. It may also include a detailed description of the test environment and any safety precautions.

5. How are test results analyzed and used in the development of an aero engine?

Test results from a test case for an aero engine are carefully analyzed and evaluated by engineers and scientists. Any issues or discrepancies are identified and addressed, and the results are used to improve the engine's design and performance. This iterative process helps to ensure that the final product meets all necessary requirements and specifications.