If a wavefunction can only collapse onto a few eigenstates

In summary, the probability distribution graph of a particle's collapse onto eigenstates may appear continuous due to the wavefunction being a continuous function in all space, even if the states themselves are discrete. This is illustrated in the example of a particle in a box, where the energy basis is discrete but the position basis is continuous. The probability distribution graph is a representation of the square of the wavefunction, which is continuous and defined for all positions in space.
kehler
I just started learning QM. I was wondering, if a wavefunction can only collapse onto a few eigenstates, how come the probability distribution graph is a usually continuous one? :S

Physics news on Phys.org

Imagine a probability space spanned by two eigenstates -- it's a 2D space, containing an infinite number of points. At each point in the space, there's a specific probability of collapsing onto each eigenstate. That's a continuous quantity.

- Warren

I don't quite get it :S. From my understanding, the probability distribution graph depicts the probability of where the particle will collapse. But you're saying that it actually represents the probability of a particle, currently at a particular position on the graph, collapsing onto an eigenstate?

I was referring to a graph of the square of the wavefunction vs position. That's what the textbook that I'm reading (Griffiths) uses to depict the probability of where a particle associated with some wavefunction will collapse.. It's only taking 1-D into account I think.

I have Griffiths... which page number? I'll pull it out.

- Warren

Just something like on page 3, fig 1.2 where it's a continuous graph..

The wavefunction is a function of all space. If you give me any point in space, I can give you the value of the wavefunction there. Therefore, the wavefunction is continuous. The book hasn't even introduced eigenstates yet.

- Warren

kehler said:
I just started learning QM. I was wondering, if a wavefunction can only collapse onto a few eigenstates, how come the probability distribution graph is a usually continuous one? :S

The states are discrete, but the corresponding eigenfunctions aren't discrete in space. Consider the particle-in-the-1D-box example. Every wave function is continuous with a value at every point from 0 to L.

So obviously a state that's a superposition, a sum, of several eigenfunctions is also going to continuous and defined from 0 to L, and so is the absolute square of that superposition.

Eingenstates of what? A particle in a box has a discrete energy basis, but the position basis is continuous. The diagrams of wavefunctions are usually drawn in position space, so they will be continuous.

Last edited:

Related to If a wavefunction can only collapse onto a few eigenstates

1. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a system. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a certain position or energy level.

2. What is an eigenstate?

An eigenstate is a state in which a physical quantity, such as position or energy, is well-defined and has a specific value. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is often used to describe the state of a particle.

3. Why can a wavefunction only collapse onto a few eigenstates?

This is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics known as the "collapse of the wavefunction." When a measurement is made on a system, the wavefunction collapses onto one of its eigenstates, which becomes the observed state of the system. This is due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

4. What happens to the other eigenstates after a wavefunction collapses?

The other eigenstates still exist, but they are no longer the observed state of the system. They may still play a role in future measurements or interactions with other systems.

5. Can a wavefunction collapse onto more than one eigenstate?

No, a wavefunction can only collapse onto one eigenstate at a time. This is because the act of measurement causes the wavefunction to collapse onto a single eigenstate, which becomes the observed state of the system. This is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and is supported by experimental evidence.