Investigating a Gravity Car: Calculating Friction & Distance

In summary, the gravity car works by a mass connected by a string and run through pully's to the drive axel. When the mass is dropped, it pulls the string, spins the wheels, and the car propels forward.
hazman900
For my physics EEI i have contructed a gravity car that works by a mass connected by a string and run through pully's to the drive axel. When i drop the mass it pulls the string, spins the wheels and the car propels forward.
The car itself weighs approximately 400g
The wheels radius on both front and back is 2.25cm
The Drive wheels radius is 0.2cm
The drop mass falls about 16cm and lands back on the car.

I am just a little confused what to investigate in my EEI. I would like to be able to predict it's distance for any given mass on a constant surface and also calculate the co-efficent of friction for the surface using the car. I have plotted displacment/time graphs to find average velocity of the car but that's about it. I'm just not sure where to go from here.

I am also trying to investigate torque and angular momentum but I'm finding it difficult.

I'm just looking for advice with where to go, and what to do with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Go online and research mouse trap cars. They are similar but get their energy from a spring on the mousetrap rather than a falling weight. There is already quit a bit of analysis already done on these cars and can help with torque questions etc. The potential energy released in the falling weight will be translated into the kinetic energy that moves the car. There will be losses not just to rolling friction but to friction in the axles and pulley. The energy in the falling weight minus the energy lost to friction = energy that moves the car.

Thanks that was really helpfull...
Could i also possibly use F= ma for the weight falling minus F = ma of the car to find force lost to friction?

As this would then help me find the co-efficent of friction

1. What is a gravity car?

A gravity car is a simple vehicle that uses the force of gravity to move down an inclined surface without the use of an engine or motor. It is powered by the potential energy of the car's mass and the Earth's gravitational pull.

2. How is friction involved in a gravity car?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object. In the case of a gravity car, friction is present between the wheels and the surface of the inclined plane, as well as between the car's moving parts. This friction must be overcome by the force of gravity in order for the car to move.

3. How do you calculate the amount of friction in a gravity car?

The amount of friction in a gravity car can be calculated by using the formula: F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction (a constant determined by the materials and surfaces in contact), and N is the normal force (the force exerted by the surface on the object).

4. How do you calculate the distance a gravity car will travel?

The distance a gravity car will travel can be calculated by using the formula: d = (v2 - u2) / 2a, where d is the distance, v is the final velocity of the car, u is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration (determined by the incline of the surface and the force of gravity).

5. What factors can affect the speed and distance of a gravity car?

The speed and distance of a gravity car can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the car, the angle of the inclined surface, the coefficient of friction, and the force of gravity. Additionally, the design and materials used in the construction of the car can also impact its performance.