Finding Altitude: Calculating Earth's Gravitational Field Strength

• Thread starter slu1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Altitude
In summary, to find the altitude above the Earth's surface where Earth's gravitational field strength would be four-fifths of its value at the surface, we use the formula g = GMe/re^2 and set it equal to 4/5 of g at the surface. Solving for the altitude, we get h = 1.3*10^4 km. Similarly, to find the altitude where the gravitational field strength is one-fifth of its value at the surface, we set g = 1/5*g at the surface and solve for h, which gives us h = 4.2*10^3 km.
slu1986
1. (a) Find the altitude above the Earth's surface where Earth's gravitational field strength would be four-fifths of its value at the surface. Assume re = 6.371*10^3 km.

(b) Find the altitude above the Earth's surface where Earth's gravitational field strength would be one-fifth of its value at the surface.

Homework Equations

g= GMe/re^2
G= 6.67*10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2
Me= 5.98*10^24 kg

3. I am so lost when I try to solve this problem. Could someone please guide me in the right direction to solving this problem. I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
slu1986 said:
1. (a) Find the altitude above the Earth's surface where Earth's gravitational field strength would be four-fifths of its value at the surface. Assume re = 6.371*10^3 km.

Hi slu1986! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

This is a dimensions question …

(like, if the radius is multiplied by three, how much is the surface area multiplied by?)

so ask yourself, on what power of r does the gravitational field strength depend? :wink:

I would first like to commend you for attempting to solve this problem on your own and seeking guidance when you faced difficulties. This shows a strong determination to understand and learn, which are important qualities for a scientist.

Now, let's break down the problem into smaller parts. First, we need to understand the concept of gravitational field strength. Gravitational field strength is a measure of the force of gravity per unit mass at a given point in space. In simpler terms, it is the amount of gravitational pull experienced by an object at a specific location.

The equation provided in the question, g = GMe/re^2, is known as the gravitational field strength formula. In this formula, g represents the gravitational field strength, G is the gravitational constant, Me is the mass of the Earth, and re is the distance from the center of the Earth to the location where the gravitational field strength is being calculated.

Now, let's move on to part (a) of the question. We are asked to find the altitude above the Earth's surface where the gravitational field strength would be four-fifths of its value at the surface. This means we need to find the value of re when the gravitational field strength is four-fifths of its value at the surface (which we will denote as g0). So, we can rewrite the equation as:

g = GMe/re^2 = (4/5)g0

Next, we can rearrange the equation to solve for re:

re = √(GMe/(4/5)g0) = √(5GMe/4g0)

Now, we have all the values we need to solve for re. We know that G = 6.67*10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2, Me = 5.98*10^24 kg, and g0 is the gravitational field strength at the surface, which we can find by plugging in the values in the original formula:

g0 = GMe/re^2 = (6.67*10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2)(5.98*10^24 kg)/(6.371*10^3 km)^2 = 9.8 m/s^2

Substituting this value into the equation for re, we get:

re = √(5(6.67*10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2)(5.98*

1. What is the formula for calculating Earth's gravitational field strength?

The formula for calculating Earth's gravitational field strength is given by the universal law of gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This can be expressed as F = G (m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How is altitude related to Earth's gravitational field strength?

As altitude increases, the distance between an object and the center of the Earth also increases. This results in a decrease in the force of gravity, as the gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. Therefore, as altitude increases, Earth's gravitational field strength decreases.

3. What units are used to measure Earth's gravitational field strength?

Earth's gravitational field strength is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2) or newtons per kilogram (N/kg). These units represent the acceleration due to gravity experienced by an object at a specific point on Earth.

4. Can Earth's gravitational field strength vary at different locations?

Yes, Earth's gravitational field strength can vary slightly at different locations on the Earth's surface. This is due to differences in the distribution of mass within the Earth and variations in the shape and rotation of the Earth. However, these variations are very small and do not significantly affect the overall value of Earth's gravitational field strength.

5. How is Earth's gravitational field strength related to the mass of the Earth?

Earth's gravitational field strength is directly proportional to the mass of the Earth. This means that as the mass of the Earth increases, so does the force of gravity experienced by objects on its surface. This relationship is reflected in the universal law of gravitation, where the force of gravity is directly proportional to the product of the masses of two objects.