Using Flocculation for Drinking Water

• Thread starter CrazyEgg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: Water can be processed in a number of ways, including using a flocculant/disinfectant powder. However, it is important to note that these products are not 100% effective and will not eliminate all bacteria and pollutants. Additionally, these products can be expensive to purchase and use regularly. If you were to purchase and use these products every day for a year, it would cost you around $2 per month.
CrazyEgg
Is it possible to take dirty river water (or any other water for that matter) and use flocculation to turn it into clean and safe water in a short amount of time?

I know that you would need a flocculant, something to disinfect the water and I've read that I need a buffer but I'm not sure about what that is, and some clay for better flocculation.

For the flocculant you could use aluminium or iron sulfate
For the disinfectant you could use calcium hypochlorite
Not sure about what clay to use
And all I know of buffers is that they are used to keep PH constant (would calcium carbonate work in this case?)

Is there anything else that is needed?
Also what would be the ratio for all the ingredients (say if you needed 20 litres of clean water)?

I'm curious to know if this method can be used to drink seawater?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well yes and no. Flocculants will help you get rid of suspended particles, so it'll look clean, but that's about it. I'm not so sure about how good they are at removing bacteria.
You seem aware water processing plants use flocculants to get rid of suspended particles. They also use filtration/sedimentation, balance the pH, remove salts through ion exchange, and finally disinfect the water.
But as any "survival guide" will tell you, the main issue is just the bacteria. So if you had to choose one step, that'd be it, rather than flocculation. Disinfection followed by filtration is really good enough in most cases.

Flocculation definitely can't be used to remove salts, so no seawater.

There used to be a product years ago called PUR, it was a sachet filled with powder which would clean water and was meant to be used in third world countries.

I found this from the cdc website:

The benefits of flocculant/disinfectant powders are:

Proven reduction of bacteria, viruses, and protozoa in water;
Removal of heavy metals and pesticides;
Residual protection against contamination;
Proven health impact;
Acceptable to users because of visual improvement in the water;

The sachets have been used all around the world so am I right in thinking that even though the water will look clean the bacteria and other micro-organisms will be there (but dead due to the calcium hypochlorite?

Also if you were to go about having a simple way to make 10 litres of water a day, every day for a year and if the price had to be something like $2 could you do it?

What is flocculation and how does it work?

Flocculation is a process used in water treatment to remove impurities and particles from drinking water. It involves mixing a coagulant, such as alum or ferric chloride, with the water to create a chemical reaction. This causes small particles to clump together, making them easier to filter out.

What are the benefits of using flocculation for drinking water?

Flocculation is an effective method for removing impurities and particles from drinking water, making it safer and more pleasant to drink. It also helps to reduce the amount of disinfectant needed for water treatment, which can save money and reduce the risk of harmful disinfection byproducts.

What are the potential risks of using flocculation for drinking water?

While flocculation is generally a safe and effective method for treating drinking water, there are some potential risks. If too much coagulant is added, it can cause water to become cloudy and affect the taste. Additionally, some coagulants can leave behind residue that may need to be removed through additional filtration.

What factors can affect the effectiveness of flocculation?

The effectiveness of flocculation can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type and amount of coagulant used, the pH of the water, and the temperature. The presence of other chemicals or contaminants in the water can also impact how well the flocculation process works.

Are there any alternative methods to flocculation for treating drinking water?

Yes, there are other methods for treating drinking water, such as sedimentation, filtration, and disinfection. However, these methods may not be as effective or cost-efficient as flocculation. In some cases, a combination of different methods may be used to achieve the best results for treating drinking water.