Solving Summation Using Induction: 1/((k-1)!(k+1)) < 1/k!

• Thread starter topengonzo
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, your solution is correct. Another way to think about it is that every rational number can be written as a decimal expansion, and this decimal expansion can be written as an infinite sum of the form 0.a1a2a3... where ai is the digit in the ith decimal place. This can be rewritten using the fact that 0.a1a2a3... = a1/10 + a2/100 + a3/1000 + ... + ak/10^k + ... and we can limit the terms to only include fractions with denominators that are factorial numbers. This way, we can ensure that the sum is finite and that each fraction is less than 1, satisfying the conditions of the question
topengonzo
summation from k to n of 1/((k-1)!(k+1)) < 1/k! using induction

How can i write it to look math

Physics news on Phys.org
You have 2 integer variables, k and n. What is the induction variable?

mathman said:
You have 2 integer variables, k and n. What is the induction variable?

n is induction variable and base term is n=k

When you said "summation from k to n", I assume you meant "summation from 1 to n". For all induction problems, keep in mind that the goal is to prove infinitely many statements with a finite amount of work. If we for each positive integer n denote the nth statement by P(n), the goal is to prove P(1), P(2), P(3) and so on, by only proving the following statements:

P(1)
For all positive integers j, if P(j), then P(j+1).

I assume the summation is from j to n, and that it ends with < 1/j! . It is not necessary to state the induction variable, but it is the lower limit j. It is btw much easier to just compute the sum without any induction nonsense.

topengonzo said:
summation from k to n of 1/((k-1)!(k+1)) < 1/k! using induction

How can i write it to look math
This is how I would interpret what you wrote:
[tex]\sum_{r=k}^n \frac 1 {(k-1)!(k+1)} < \frac 1 {k!}[/tex]
This is "the sum from k to n of 1/((k-1)!(k+1))" -- and it is false.This is what I think you meant:
[tex]\sum_{r=k}^n \frac 1 {(r-1)!(r+1)} < \frac 1 {k!}[/tex]
This is true for all finite integers k>0, n≥k. You don't need recursion to prove this.

This is how I would interpret what you wrote:
∑r=kn1(k−1)!(k+1)<1k!

This is "the sum from k to n of 1/((k-1)!(k+1))" -- and it is false.This is what I think you meant:
∑r=kn1(r−1)!(r+1)<1k!

This is true for all finite integers k>0, n≥k. You don't need recursion to prove this.

Yes the second one you wrote is what i exactly mean. How do I prove it? Also I think if i set n -> infinity (find lim at infinity), I would get = instead of < . Am I correct?

topengonzo said:
Yes the second one you wrote is what i exactly mean. How do I prove it? Also I think if i set n -> infinity (find lim at infinity), I would get = instead of < . Am I correct?
This is the homework section of PhysicsForums. You need to show some work.

I will give a hint: Induction is not the way to go here. Simply find the value of the series.

D H said:
This is the homework section of PhysicsForums. You need to show some work.

I will give a hint: Induction is not the way to go here. Simply find the value of the series.

This is not the question of my homework. I will write it here down to show you that I am doing an effort and what I am asking will lead me to the answer.

Question:
Prove every positive rational number x can be expressed in ONE way in the form
x= a1 + a2/2! + a3/3! + ... + ak/k!
where a1,a2,...,ak are integers and 0<=a1,0<=a2<2,...,0<=ak<k
My solution:
To prove that there is only 1 solution, I am trying to prove
min(ak/k!)>max( (a(k+1))/(k+1)!+(a(k+2))/(k+2)!+...+ (a(k+n))/(k+n)! )
To get min set ak=1
and to get max set ak=k

and I get to the original question I am asking

I'll give you a start. We agree that you are trying to prove
[tex]\sum_{r=k}^n \frac 1 {(r-1)!(r+1)} < \frac 1 {k!}[/tex]
Multiplying each term of the sum by one won't change anything, but write one as r/r.

I think that your previous answer using series will solve it.

I am thinking of putting

[tex]\sum_{r=k}^n \frac r {(r+1)!} < \frac 1 {k!}[/tex]

and I use the poisson distribution series to prove = 1/k! and thus the sum of any finite terms of the series is < 1/k!

Am I correct?

Last edited:
You're thinking too hard. Just rewrite the series so the sum goes from k+1 to n+1.

[tex]\sum_{r=k+1}^{n+1} \frac {r-1} {(r)!} < \frac 1 {k!}[/tex]
Is this correct?
[tex]\sum_{r=0}^{inf} \frac {r-1} {(r)!}[/tex] = e-e=0

And then I take out term from 0 to k?

topengonzo said:
[tex]\sum_{r=k+1}^{n+1} \frac {r-1} {(r)!} < \frac 1 {k!}[/tex]
Is this correct?
Yes!

[tex]\sum_{r=0}^{inf} \frac {r-1} {(r)!}[/tex] = e-e=0

And then I take out term from 0 to k?
No!

You are thinking too hard! Look at the numerator. Rewrite that finite sum as the difference between two sums. Those two sums will have n-1 common terms. Get rid of them.

[tex]\sum_{r=k+1}^{n+1} \frac {1} {(r-1)!} - \sum_{r=k+1}^{n+1} \frac {1} {(r)!} [/tex]

YOUR RIGHT! it becomes simply
[tex]\frac {1} {(k)!} - \frac {1} {(n+1)!} [/tex]

Just 1 final question?

Prove every positive rational number x can be expressed in ONE way in the form
x= a1 + a2/2! + a3/3! + ... + ak/k!
where a1,a2,...,ak are integers and 0<=a1,0<=a2<2,...,0<=ak<k

I take lim as n tends to infinity of my answer so I get that the infinite sum of all terms after ak/k! is equal to ak/k! which means there is no overlapping and one and only one way to represent x.
Also the sum of fractions span from 0 to infinity which means EVERY positive rational number x can be represented by the sum of fractions

Is my solution correct and is there another way to solve it?

1. Can I prove this using the scientific method?

Yes, the scientific method is a systematic approach to conducting experiments and gathering evidence to support or refute a hypothesis.

2. How do I know if my evidence is reliable?

Reliable evidence can be tested and replicated, and the results should be consistent. It should also come from unbiased and well-controlled experiments.

3. What if my results do not support my hypothesis?

This is a common occurrence in science and can lead to new discoveries. It is important to analyze and interpret the results objectively and consider alternative explanations.

4. Can I prove something with 100% certainty?

No, science relies on evidence and the best available explanations, but there is always room for new evidence or theories to change our understanding of a topic.

5. How can I communicate my findings to others?

Scientific communication can take many forms, such as publishing in scientific journals, presenting at conferences, or using media platforms. It is important to present the evidence and conclusions accurately and clearly.