Physics Engineering: Job Diff vs Engineer

In summary, a physicist isn't certified like an engineer, but by how much would that limit me? It will be tough to answer your question without some background info. Can you post a link to your school's Physics Engineering curriculum?
cscott
"Physics Engineering"

If I get my BSc and some associated higher degree and go into the industry where I'm put into some R&D program, how will my job differ from that of an engineer? I understand that a physicist isn't ceritified like an engineer, but by how much would that limit me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a degree in Engineering Physics, and these programs vary wildly from school to school. It will be tough to answer your question without some background info. Can you post a link to your school's Physics Engineering curriculum?

Well, I am am double major in electrical engineering and engineeing physics. The engineering physics degree here is basically the same exact thing as the professional physics degree, except the engineering physics degree lacks the analytical mechanics requirement, and instead you take statics and dynamics. Also, in engineering physics, all of the free electives in the physics program are pretty much filled with engineering classes.

I work in the technology development section of a High Profile company. Several of the engineers I work with have PhDs in Physics. There may be companies who have positions entitled Physicist but I will bet you will find most positions are called engineers. Few if any of the engineers in the company I work for are Certified PEs.

That (edit: "that" being leright's response) illustrates what I mean by wild variance from school to school. My degree program was basically the same as the Nuclear Engineering program. But while NE majors took a 2-semester sequence of reactor engineering and 1 semester of electronics for non-EE majors, we took a 2-semester sequence of quantum mechanics and 1 semester of circuit analysis for EE majors. We also had to take an upper level course in electrodynamics (Griffiths). We were encouraged to use our electives on more math and physics.

So it's really not possible to answer the question in the OP without seeing the curriculum.

Sorry, I meant to add that I'm taking just honours physics. I guess I wasn't clear.

Integral said:
I work in the technology development section of a High Profile company. Several of the engineers I work with have PhDs in Physics. There may be companies who have positions entitled Physicist but I will bet you will find most positions are called engineers. Few if any of the engineers in the company I work for are Certified PEs.

This is what I was getting at. Thanks!

1. What is the difference between a job in Physics Engineering and a job as an Engineer?

While both Physics Engineering and Engineering may involve similar concepts and principles, they are distinct fields with different job responsibilities. Physics Engineering focuses on the application of physics principles to design and develop new technologies, while Engineering involves the use of math and science to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, and systems.

2. What type of education is needed for a job in Physics Engineering?

Most jobs in Physics Engineering require at least a bachelor's degree in Physics Engineering, Applied Physics, or a related field. Some employers may also prefer candidates with a graduate degree or specialized training in a specific area of Physics Engineering.

3. What are some common job roles in Physics Engineering?

Some common job roles in Physics Engineering include research and development engineers, design engineers, systems engineers, and testing and validation engineers. These professionals may work in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, electronics, and energy.

4. How does a job in Physics Engineering differ from a job in other branches of engineering?

Physics Engineering differs from other branches of engineering in that it focuses specifically on the application of physics principles to solve problems and develop new technologies. Other branches of engineering, such as mechanical or electrical engineering, may have a broader scope and incorporate principles from multiple fields of science and mathematics.

5. What skills are important for a career in Physics Engineering?

In addition to a strong foundation in physics and engineering principles, some important skills for a career in Physics Engineering include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Strong communication and computer skills are also important for effectively designing and implementing solutions in this field.