Solve Physics Problem: Force & Distance for 2kg Mass at 5m/s

• Thread starter nobby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulae
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of formulas for solving physics problems, specifically related to forces, work, and kinetic energy. The participants also discuss the conversion of units and the importance of assumptions in solving problems.
nobby
which formulae?

hi there

i have an exam soon and i have the question that follows.

A body of mass of 2kg is traveling with a speed of 5m/s. If a force of 5N acts upon it due to friction, how much distance will it travel?

does anyone know which formula i need to use?? i am really stumped.

many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, nobby. Note that for homework and coursework questions we require that you show some work before we can help you.

That said, I'll give you one hint: try using the relationship between work and kinetic energy.

Cristo you little beauty

once i got both formula on paper it all made sense. thank you very much

nobby

You're welcome!

cristo maybe you could help with another question.

the question is...An aircraft weighing 6400 pounds lands at a speed of 10ft/sec and stops in 10 seconds. What force was generated by the brakes? (assuming gravity as 32ft/sec^2)

when i worked this out I converted the pounds and feet/sec to kg and m/s, was this the right thing to do or should i just have carried out the workings out in the original terms? I again used the kinetic energy and work done formula and came up with 442.9N.

my working out is thus.

mass = 6400lb x 0.453 (to go to kg) = 2903kg
velocity = 10ft/sec x 0.3048 (to go to m/s) = 3.048m/s
time = 10 sec
displacement = 100ft (i assumed this as 10ft/sec for 10sec) x 0.3048 (for metres) = 30.48m

Ke = 1/2mV^2
Ke = 1/2 x 2903 x 3.048^2
Ke = 1451.5 x 9.3
Ke = 13484.9

work done = force x distance
transposed is force = work/distance
force = 13484.9/30.48
force = 442.9N

does this sound right to anyone? if anyone has any feed back i would love to hear from you

many thanks in advance

It doesn't really matter in which units you work. I prefer SI, but as long as you are consequent about it, it doesn't really matter (e.g. divide meters by meters and not by feet).

Your answer looks fine. Note that you have implicitly used here, that all the kinetic energy is converted into work (the kinetic energy at the end is zero), as the plane slows to a stop. This would not have been the case if for example, it just braked to 1 m/s and then rolled out by friction -- so it's an important assumption.

thank you for your feedback and comments they are much appreciated.

What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F=ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

How do I calculate the force for a 2kg mass at 5m/s?

To calculate the force for a 2kg mass at 5m/s, you would use the formula F=ma. Plug in the values: F=(2kg)(5m/s^2)=10N. This means that the force acting on the 2kg mass at 5m/s is 10 Newtons.

What is the relationship between force and distance?

The relationship between force and distance is that the greater the force applied, the greater the distance the object will travel. This is known as work and is calculated by multiplying force by distance (W=Fd).

How can I find the distance traveled for a 2kg mass at 5m/s?

To find the distance traveled for a 2kg mass at 5m/s, you can use the formula d=vt, where d is distance in meters, v is velocity in meters per second, and t is time in seconds. Plug in the values: d=(5m/s)(1s)=5m. This means that the 2kg mass traveling at 5m/s will travel a distance of 5 meters in 1 second.

What is the unit of force and distance in this problem?

The unit of force in this problem is Newtons (N), and the unit of distance is meters (m). Both of these units are part of the International System of Units (SI) and are commonly used in physics calculations.