Request to String Lovers: Classify theories by critical dimensions.

In summary, Topological Strings = 3, Superstrings = 10, M-Theory = 11, F-Theory = 12, Bosonic strings = 26, and Tensionless strings = arbitrary.
MTd2
Gold Member
Topological Strings = 3
Superstrings = 10
Bosonic strings 26
Tensionless strings = arbitrary

Do you know of any others that could fit in other dimensions not listed above?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mtheory has 11 dimensions.

I don't know if you can see a tensionless string as a limit of Mtheory, but all of the superstring theories can be seen from MTheory and some dualities.

Also, bosonic string theory is only a toy model, and it was never really expected that it be realistic. We only study it as an introduction.

Sure, I am just looking for listing theories, it doesn't matter if they are realistic or not, or if the extre dimensions are just a calculational device or help. :). Just trying to see if there is something curious around.

Another one. F-Theory has 12 dimesions.

So, we have:

Topological Strings = 3
Superstrings = 10
M -Theory = 11
F - Theory = 12
Bosonic strings = 26

More? I guess I saw something today with 13 dimensions.

Well, the 11th and 12th dimensions of Ftheory are just a tool. They are not physical "space" dimensions as some have said. And either way, Ftheory is just a limit of Mtheory.

Yes, that's why I included calculatinal device above. Do you know any other?

Would you count gauge/gravity dualities?

atyy said:

Hmm. I haven't thought about that... But I guess that wouldn't be very stringy, since unlike m theory where you get strings should arise from compactification, that one would be sort of classical limit coming from strings, isn't it?

I found this:

4-D FERMIONIC SUPERSTRINGS FROM THIRTEEN-DIMENSIONS: sigma MODEL AND SUPERCONFORMAL PROPERTIES

D'Auria, R.;Fre, P.;Gliozzi, F.;Pasquinucci, A

http://www-lib.kek.jp/cgi-bin/kiss_prepri.v8?KN=200034725&OF=4 .

Last edited by a moderator:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9204071

Twistor-like superstrings with D = 3, 4, 6 target-superspace and N = (1,0), (2,0), (4,0) world-sheet supersymmetry
Authors: F. Delduc, E.Ivanov, E. Sokatchev
(Submitted on 22 Apr 1992)

Abstract: We construct a manifestly $N=(4,0)$ world-sheet supersymmetric twistor-like formulation of the $D=6$ Green-Schwarz superstring, using the principle of double (target-space and world-sheet) Grassmann analyticity. The superstring action contains two Lagrange multiplier terms and a Wess-Zumino term. They are written down in the analytic subspace of the world-sheet harmonic $N=(4,0)$ superspace, the target manifold being too an analytic subspace of the harmonic $D=6\;\; N=1$ superspace. The kappa symmetry of the $D=6$ superstring is identified with a Kac-Moody extension of the world-sheet $N=(4,0)$ superconformal symmetry. It can be enlarged to include the whole world-sheet reparametrization group if one introduces the appropriate gauge Beltrami superfield into the action. To illustrate the basic features of the new $D=6$ superstring construction, we first give some details about the simpler (already known) twistor-like formulations of $D=3, N=(1,0)$ and $D=4, N=(2,0)$ superstrings.

atyy said:

How are these dimensions?

BenTheMan said:
How are these dimensions?

Well, the dimensions in the gauge theory are different from the gravity theory. So if MTd2 wanted "calculational devices" then maybe he would consider those too.

atyy said:
Well, the dimensions in the gauge theory are different from the gravity theory. So if MTd2 wanted "calculational devices" then maybe he would consider those too.

I was thinking about F-Theory, something that gives any kind of strings at lower dimensions...

Last edited:
atyy said:
Well, the dimensions in the gauge theory are different from the gravity theory.

Sorry for being dense, but in what sense is this true?

The dimensions in gauge theory still enter in terms of a metric, the same way they enter in GR. Maybe I'm missing something.

BenTheMan said:
Sorry for being dense, but in what sense is this true?

The dimensions in gauge theory still enter in terms of a metric, the same way they enter in GR. Maybe I'm missing something.

More likely I'm being dense since it's from a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to understand. Anyway, I'm thinking of statements like "On both sides of the duality we have started in D = 10, because this is the natural dimensionality for this supersymmetry algebra. On the gauge side, however, this was just a device to give a compact description of the Lagrangian; the field theory lives in four dimensions. On the gravity side, the quantum theory is fully ten-dimensional, not just a dimensional reduction." in Horowitz and Polchinksy's http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0602037

Well, the dualities are usually a strong/weak coupling duality (in the case you're talking about) or a big/small duality.

What you find in the gauge/gravity duality is that you can describe all of the degrees of freedom in a strongly coupled gauge theory using a (weakly coupled) gravity theory. This is nice, because it's the only way we _really_ know how to deal with strongly coupled theories.

MTd2 said:
Can somebody recommend me the relevant literature to learn more about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks MTd2!

1. What is the purpose of classifying theories by critical dimensions?

The purpose of classifying theories by critical dimensions is to organize and categorize different theories based on their key components or dimensions. This can help researchers and scholars better understand the similarities and differences between theories and identify new areas for research.

2. How are theories typically classified by critical dimensions?

Theories can be classified by critical dimensions through various methods, such as identifying key concepts, variables, or assumptions. These dimensions may also include the scope, level of analysis, or underlying principles of a theory.

3. Can theories belong to multiple dimensions?

Yes, theories can often belong to multiple dimensions. This is because theories can have overlapping or interconnected components that can fit into different categories or dimensions.

4. What are some examples of critical dimensions in theory classification?

Some common critical dimensions used in theory classification include the explanatory power, level of abstraction, predictive ability, and empirical support of a theory. Other dimensions may include the theoretical framework, methodology, or scope of a theory.

5. How does classifying theories by critical dimensions contribute to the scientific community?

Classifying theories by critical dimensions can contribute to the scientific community by promoting a better understanding and organization of theories in a particular field of study. This can also facilitate the development of new theories and the identification of gaps in current research, leading to further advancements in the field.