Rearranging to make x the subject so i can solve

• Thread starter toodey
  • Start date
In summary, to rearrange an equation to make x the subject, you need to isolate x on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This allows you to solve for the value of x, which is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications. It is possible to rearrange an equation with multiple x terms, but you may need to simplify the equation first. While it may not always be necessary, it is good practice to rearrange an equation to make x the subject before solving. The same steps can be used for any equation, but more complex equations may require additional strategies.
toodey

Homework Statement

Square root over all in brackets (x+2)/(x-2)=1/2

Homework Equations

REARRANGING

The Attempt at a Solution

-0.33? but need to show my working but used my calculator, i don't no how to get the x's to become one

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{x + 2}{x - 2}} = \frac12[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{x + 2}}{x - 2}} = \frac12?[/tex]

Anyway, first you want to get rid of the square root, then of the fraction and finally you will get a quadratic equation which you can solve.

To solve for x, we can rearrange the equation to isolate x on one side. First, we can multiply both sides by (x-2) to get rid of the denominator on the left side. This gives us:

√(x+2) = 1/2 * (x-2)

Next, we can square both sides to eliminate the square root on the left side. This gives us:

((x+2) = 1/4 * (x-2)^2

Expanding the right side gives us:

x+2 = 1/4 * (x^2 - 4x + 4)

Multiplying both sides by 4 to eliminate the fraction gives us:

4x+8 = x^2 - 4x + 4

Moving all terms to one side gives us:

x^2 - 8x - 4 = 0

Using the quadratic formula, we can solve for x:

x = (8 ± √(8^2 - 4 * 1 * (-4))) / 2

x = (8 ± √(64 + 16)) / 2

x = (8 ± √80) / 2

x = (8 ± 8.94) / 2

x = 4.47 or -0.47

So, the solutions for x are 4.47 and -0.47.

1. How do I rearrange an equation to make x the subject?

To rearrange an equation to make x the subject, you need to isolate x on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to move all other terms to the other side of the equation.

2. What is the purpose of rearranging an equation to make x the subject?

Rearranging an equation to make x the subject allows you to solve for the value of x. This is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, as it allows you to find the unknown variable in an equation.

3. Can I rearrange an equation to make x the subject if there are multiple x terms?

Yes, you can rearrange an equation to make x the subject even if there are multiple x terms. In this case, you will need to combine like terms and use the distributive property to simplify the equation before isolating x.

4. Is it necessary to rearrange an equation to make x the subject before solving?

In some cases, it may be necessary to rearrange an equation to make x the subject before solving. However, in simpler equations, it may be possible to solve for x without rearranging. It is always a good practice to rearrange to make x the subject if possible, as it can make the solving process easier.

5. Can I use the same steps to rearrange any equation to make x the subject?

Yes, the same steps can be used to rearrange any equation to make x the subject. These steps include using inverse operations to move terms, combining like terms, and using the distributive property if necessary. However, the complexity of the equation may require additional steps or strategies.