Swiss Universities: Find Theoretical Physics Programs

• Schools
  • Thread starter wineglass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universities
In summary, the conversation discusses a person's plan to apply to Swiss universities for theoretical physics and asks for advice on which university, Lund or Uppsala, would be better suited for this field. The responder mentions that the universities are actually in Sweden, not Switzerland, and shares their opinion that Uppsala is more known for its program in theoretical physics while Lund is known for research in nanotechnology. They also recommend two highly ranked universities in Switzerland for studying physics.
wineglass
Hi,

I´m planning to apply to some swiss universities so if there is anyone familiar with Swedish universities who can tell me.
Where to go for theoretical physics, Lund or Uppsala?

Thakx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, not entirely related to the post, but thought I should point out that Swiss means from Switzerland and those two universities are in Sweden

sorry i confuse them, any help in how can i edit the title?

I know people who have studied or are studying theoretical physics at both universities and from that I get the feeling that the university in Uppsala is more known for their program in theoretical physics than the university in Lund. Lund I think is more famous for its research into nanotechnology for example and is therefore better suited if you want to become an experimental physicist. This is my opinion of course and if you want to study in Sweden, you better get your geography right ;) If you do end up in Switzerland I can recommend the ETH or the EPFL, which are both ranked highly for their programs in physics

Last edited:

I would recommend considering both Lund and Uppsala universities for theoretical physics programs in Switzerland. Both universities have strong reputations in the field and offer excellent academic opportunities. I would suggest researching the specific programs and faculty members at each university to determine which one aligns best with your research interests and goals. Additionally, I would recommend reaching out to current students or professors in these programs for first-hand experiences and insights. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your own personal preferences and academic needs. Good luck with your application process!

1. What is the admission process for theoretical physics programs at Swiss universities?

The admission process for theoretical physics programs at Swiss universities varies depending on the specific institution. Generally, applicants are required to have a strong background in mathematics and physics, as well as a bachelor's degree in a related field. Some universities may also require applicants to take an entrance exam or submit additional materials such as letters of recommendation or a statement of purpose.

2. What are the top universities in Switzerland for theoretical physics?

Some of the top universities in Switzerland for theoretical physics include ETH Zurich, the University of Zurich, and the University of Geneva. These universities have highly reputable physics departments with renowned faculty members and cutting-edge research opportunities.

3. What is the duration of a theoretical physics program at Swiss universities?

The duration of a theoretical physics program at Swiss universities is typically 2-3 years for a master's degree and 3-4 years for a doctoral degree. However, the actual duration may vary depending on the specific program and the student's course load.

4. Are there any scholarship opportunities for international students interested in theoretical physics programs at Swiss universities?

Yes, there are several scholarship opportunities for international students interested in theoretical physics programs at Swiss universities. These include scholarships offered by the Swiss government, individual universities, and external organizations. It is recommended to research and apply for these scholarships well in advance of the application deadline.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of theoretical physics programs at Swiss universities?

Graduates of theoretical physics programs at Swiss universities have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. These include research positions at universities and research institutions, as well as careers in industries such as technology, finance, and consulting. Many graduates also go on to pursue further education, such as a postdoctoral position or teaching at the university level.