Volume of Solids of Revolution

Expert SummarizerIn summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid generated by rotating a region R about the y-axis. The integral expression provided by the student is close, but the bounds are incorrect. The expert recommends using [0,1] as the bounds instead of [1,3].
olicoh

Homework Statement

In Problems 1-5, let R be the region bounded by y√x =, y = 1, and x = 4. Each problem will describe a solid generated by rotating R about an axis. Write an integral expression that can be used to find the volume of the solid (do not evaluate).
I only need help with problem 2: The solid is generated by rotating R about the y-axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got V=pi∫[1,3](y^4-16)dy
My teacher says I got my bounds wrong? I'm not sure why she thinks that. I though [1,3] on the y-axis were the bounds for this equation.

Physics news on Phys.org

I understand that you are trying to find the volume of a solid generated by rotating the region R about the y-axis. Your integral expression, V=pi∫[1,3](y^4-16)dy, is close, but your bounds are incorrect. In this case, the bounds should be [0,1] since the region R is bounded by y=1 on the upper boundary and y=√x on the lower boundary. Therefore, the correct integral expression would be V=pi∫[0,1](y^4-√x)dy. I hope this helps clarify the issue. Good luck with your problem solving!

1. What is the volume of a solid of revolution?

The volume of a solid of revolution is the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional shape that is formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This concept is often used in calculus to find volumes of complex shapes.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a solid of revolution?

The volume of a solid of revolution can be calculated using the cylindrical shell method or the disk method. The cylindrical shell method involves integrating the circumference of a shape with respect to its height, while the disk method involves integrating the area of a cross-section of the shape with respect to its radius.

3. What is the difference between a solid of revolution and a solid of extrusion?

A solid of revolution is formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis, while a solid of extrusion is formed by pushing a two-dimensional shape along a straight line. This results in different shapes and volumes for each type of solid.

4. Can the volume of a solid of revolution be negative?

No, the volume of a solid of revolution cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space occupied by a shape, and space cannot have a negative value. However, the volume can be zero if the shape being rotated has no volume or if the axis of rotation is outside of the shape.

5. What real-life applications use the concept of volume of solids of revolution?

The concept of volume of solids of revolution is used in many real-life applications, such as engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, it is used to calculate the volume of a water tank, the volume of a roller coaster loop, or the volume of a ball bearing.