How Does Matter Affect Space?

The big bang theory suggests that space was not expanding into anything, but rather space itself was expanding. The planet's own gravity may have some effect on its shape, but it is not the only factor. There is currently no evidence for graviton planets. In summary, matter (stress energy) is responsible for curving space and the big bang theory suggests that space itself expanded. The planet's own gravity may have some effect on its shape, but there is no evidence for graviton planets.
menniandscience
hello. my question is how matter affect [i.e twist\deform it] space?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
DaleSpam said:
This is how matter (stress energy) curves space:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_field_equations

Hi, that is a mathematical description, i want to know what is in the matter that makes space curve.

+

if energy curve space as well, than in the big bang, how come space expanded?

+

if a neutron planet moving in space and curve the space in front of it, is the planet stretches by it's own power?

+

are there graviton plantes?

many basic question, hope you can help me with that
thanks

meni ohana said:
i want to know what is in the matter that makes space curve.
Energy, momentum, and stress.

1. How does matter affect the curvature of space?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, matter causes space to bend or curve due to its mass and energy. The more matter present, the greater the curvature of space.

2. Can matter cause space to expand or contract?

Yes, matter can cause local regions of space to expand or contract. This is known as gravitational lensing, where the presence of matter warps the fabric of space-time and causes light to bend.

3. Does the type of matter affect how it interacts with space?

Yes, different types of matter interact with space differently. For example, dark matter does not interact with electromagnetic radiation, while normal matter does. This difference in interaction results in varying effects on space.

4. How does matter affect the speed of light in space?

The speed of light is constant in a vacuum, but it can be affected by the presence of matter. As light travels through space, it can be absorbed, scattered, or slowed down by matter, impacting its overall speed.

5. Can matter create gravitational waves in space?

Yes, matter can generate gravitational waves, which are ripples in the fabric of space-time. These waves are caused by the acceleration of massive objects, such as colliding black holes, and can stretch and compress space as they propagate.