Citing a Website with No Author: How to Do Intext Citation

• Thread starter klusener
  • Start date
In summary, when citing a website without an author, you can use the title of the webpage or article in place of the author's name. In-text citations for websites with no author should follow the same format as those with an author, using the title of the webpage or article in place of the author's name enclosed in quotation marks. Including a URL in the in-text citation is not necessary as the purpose of the citation is to provide enough information to locate the source. If the website does not have a publication date, you can use "n.d." in place of the date or try to locate a publication or revision date on the webpage. In-text citations for websites can be used in any citation style, but it is important to check
klusener
I need to do an intext citation for an internet site, but there is no author mentioned for this specific article, how do i cite this? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Since I don't have many ocassions to cite internet sites as references, I'm not sure if there is a more standard convention, but if nobody else comes up with any better ideas, I'd say just include the URL.

When citing a website with no author, the general rule is to use the title of the webpage or article in place of the author's name. In-text citations should include the first few words of the title in quotation marks, followed by the year of publication and the page number (if available) in parentheses. For example: ("Title of Webpage or Article", Year, p. #). If there is no page number, you can use the paragraph number instead. If no date is provided, use "n.d." in place of the year. It is also important to include the full URL in the reference list.

1. What do I do if the website I am citing does not have an author?

If the website you are citing does not have an author, you can use the title of the webpage or article in place of the author's name. If there is no title, you can use the name of the organization or website as the author.

2. How do I do an in-text citation for a website with no author?

In-text citations for websites with no author follow the same format as those with an author. The only difference is that you will use the title of the webpage or article in place of the author's name, enclosed in quotation marks. For example: ("Title of Webpage").

3. Do I need to include a URL in the in-text citation?

No, it is not necessary to include a URL in the in-text citation. The purpose of an in-text citation is to provide the reader with enough information to locate the source in your works cited list. Including a URL can make the citation cluttered and difficult to read.

4. What if the website does not have a publication date?

If the website you are citing does not have a publication date, you can use the abbreviation "n.d." (no date) in place of the date. You can also try to locate a publication or revision date on the webpage, or use the copyright date of the website as an approximation.

5. Can I use in-text citations for websites in any citation style?

Yes, in-text citations for websites can be used in any citation style, including APA, MLA, and Chicago. However, each style may have slightly different guidelines for formatting the in-text citation, so it is important to check the specific style guide for the correct format.