Solve Gorgon Decay Problem: Find Photon Energy & Lexicon Velocity

• Thread starter rei
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the problem involves the decay of a Gorgon particle into a photon and a Lexicon particle. The photon is emitted in the -x direction and the Lexicon in the +x direction, with the Gorgon initially at rest. The task is to calculate the energy of the photon and the final velocity of the Lexicon using conservation of energy and momentum. The suggested approach is to use the equations p = E/c and E = √[(pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2] and substitute them into the conservation of energy equation. However, this leads to a quadratic equation with three possible solutions, causing confusion for the person seeking help.
rei
I've been trying to use energy and momentum conservation in this problem but it didn't work out or I got a quadratic equation and got 3 different answers. Can anyone help me please. Here is the problem

The Gorgon ( rest mass of 3000 MeV/c^2) decays into a photon (i.e, a particle of light) and Lexicon (rest mass of 1800 MeV/c^2).

The Gorgon was initially at rest. The photon is emitted in the -x direction and the Lexicon is in the +x direction. Find the energy of the photon and the final velocity of the Lexicon.

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show what you have done.

Think - Conservation of energy and conservation of momentum.

The momentum of a photon, p = E/c

Remember there is rest energy and kinetic energy, so total energy must be conserved, and momentum.

I have Eg = Ep + El and the same thing for p

also E = square root of [(pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2]

and pc of photon will be equal -pc of elicon.

Substitute both of the above into the conservation of energy equation. I only have one unknow which is p of photon. But then I got a quandratic equation with 3 different answers. I don't know what to do next.

Thanks

Related to Solve Gorgon Decay Problem: Find Photon Energy & Lexicon Velocity

1. What is the Gorgon Decay Problem?

The Gorgon Decay Problem is a theoretical problem in particle physics that describes the decay of a hypothetical particle known as the Gorgon. It is used to study the behavior of particles in extreme conditions and to better understand the fundamental forces of nature.

2. How can we solve the Gorgon Decay Problem?

To solve the Gorgon Decay Problem, we need to use mathematical equations and experimental data to calculate the energy and velocity of the photons produced during the decay of the Gorgon particle. This involves using complex mathematical models and advanced experimental techniques.

3. What is photon energy and why is it important in this problem?

Photon energy is the energy carried by a single photon, which is a fundamental particle of light. In the Gorgon Decay Problem, calculating the photon energy is crucial because it helps us understand the behavior of the Gorgon particle and its interaction with other particles.

4. What is lexicon velocity and how does it relate to the Gorgon Decay Problem?

Lexicon velocity refers to the speed at which the Gorgon particle decays and produces photons. It is an important factor in the Gorgon Decay Problem because it affects the energy and direction of the photons, which in turn, impacts the overall behavior and properties of the Gorgon particle.

5. How does solving the Gorgon Decay Problem contribute to scientific research?

Solving the Gorgon Decay Problem is important for advancing our understanding of particle physics and the fundamental forces of nature. It also has practical applications in fields such as cosmology and high-energy physics, and can lead to new discoveries and technologies that benefit society.