Solving for Current in Resistors | Voltage 40.7 V | A and B Points

• Thread starter Jnblose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the equivalent resistance and current in a circuit with a voltage of 40.7 V applied between points a and b. The drawing includes resistors with values of 12, 6, 5, 4, and 8 ohms. The solution involves using the equation 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 to calculate the equivalent resistance, and then using Ohm's Law (I = U/R) to find the current in each resistor.
Jnblose

Homework Statement

f a voltage of 40.7 V is applied between points a and b, find the current in each resistor.

The drawing looks like this (idk how to add a picture here) A-[ ]-/\/-[ ]-B In between brackets (space at top and bottom are resistors)... top of the first (A) is 12, bottom 6, middle there is one (designated by /\/) at 5. On top and bottom of B are 4 and 8 respectively.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First question is Find the equivalent resistance between point a and b. So I tried to break them down and do Rab (hypothetically) as 1/r1 + 1/r2 so 1/12 + 1/6 = .25 then I made a Rcd (hypothetically) and did 1/r4 + 1/r5 which is 1/4 + 1/8 = .375 then I added R3 to get the total R which would be +5 so answer would be 5.625 This was marked incorrect. Then it says if a voltage 40.7 is applied b/t a and B find current in each resistor. There I am completely lost but I attempted something random and got of course a wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't follow your description of the diagram. If you can scan one in, you can attach it to your message. Or post it to a site like photobucket.com and give us a link. Some are putting (IMG) and (/IMG), with square brackets instead of round, around the link so it shows up as an image in the post.

Perhaps you could just describe it better. The current goes through the 12 ohm resister . . .

http://www.webassign.net/sercp/p18-18alt.gif

p18-18alt.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ehhh fail wrong one sorry... 1 second.

1zzken7.gif

Hi,

you have to calculate for the 12 and 6 Ohm the following:

1/12 + 1/6 = 1/r_1 so r_1 = 6*12/(6 + 12) = 4 = 1/0.25.

So 0.25 is wrong. Do the same for 1/4 + 1/8 = 1/r_3 -> r_3.
r_2 = 5 Ohm.

So R = r_1 + r_2 + r_3.
Now you have I = U/R (between a and b) with U = 40.7 V.
Try to figure out the other currents by yourself.

Related to Solving for Current in Resistors | Voltage 40.7 V | A and B Points

What is electricity?

Electricity is the flow of electric charge, or the movement of electrons, through a conductive material. It is a form of energy that powers many of the devices and machines we use every day.

How is electricity produced?

Electricity can be produced through various methods, including burning fossil fuels, harnessing the power of moving water, or using renewable sources such as solar or wind energy. These methods involve converting one form of energy into electrical energy.

What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path that allows electric current to flow. It typically consists of a power source, conductive materials such as wires, and a load or device that uses the electricity.

What is the difference between AC and DC?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two types of electrical current. AC alternates direction, while DC flows in only one direction. AC is commonly used for powering homes and buildings, while DC is used for smaller devices such as batteries.

How does electricity affect our daily lives?

Electricity plays a crucial role in our daily lives, powering our homes, businesses, and transportation. It allows us to communicate, stay connected, and access information through devices such as phones and computers. It also powers appliances and machines that make our lives more convenient and efficient.