Physics information no1 seems to know

In summary, the inner workings of a blender involve a speed-controlled motor and gear train that drive a set of blades through a coupling joint. This joint can either be traditional lugs or powerful magnets, depending on the type of blender. The magnetic coupling eliminates the need for sealed bearings but also limits the torque that can be transmitted from the motor.
Mobile1551
Hey guys, I was looking for this information all over the internet and couldn't find ANYTHING.

My question is: What are the inner workings of a blender?

Either a traditional blender or a magnetic blender, I'm wondering about the physics behind it and I'm thinking about picking this topic for an AP Physics Project but I need to find some websites that have good information.

I was thinking about talking about the magnetic blender more because it seems more complex obviously and I could talk about magnetism being a part of physics. But I'm very confused on how this works. My friend told me that the AC(alternating current) runs through a magnet so the magnetic field is constantly reversing. And somehow this causes the blades to spin...lol

If anyone is intelligent or interested enough in helping me, feel free to write anything. All help would be appreciated ASAP :).

Physics news on Phys.org
You need some basic understanding of electromagnetism, which you can get after 2 hours of fascinated clicking here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/magnetic/motdc.html

Well, Wikipedia is pretty nice too

I'd explain myself but, truth be told, I forgot... I only vague remember something about an accelerated electric field producing a magnetic field of some sort... and so yeah. lol.

Welcome to PF, Mobile.
A basic blender is utterly simple. You have a speed-controlled motor and gear train that drive a set of blades through a coupling joint that consists of interlocking lugs on the top of the base mating with counterparts on the bottom of the canister. The blades themselves are mounted to the lugs through a sealed bearing.
Magnetic coupling just replaces the lugs with powerful magnets set up so that the one in the base 'drags' the one in the canister around due to repulsion/attraction. That eliminates the need for any opening in the base of the canister, and thus any sealed bearings. That's great in one way. On the downside, however, it also severely limits how much torque can be transmitted from the motor.

1. What is the difference between classical and quantum mechanics?

The main difference between classical and quantum mechanics is the scale at which they operate. Classical mechanics explains the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics explains the behavior of microscopic particles. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics follows probabilistic laws. Additionally, classical mechanics does not take into account the effects of uncertainty and superposition, which are fundamental principles in quantum mechanics.

2. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental theory in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It consists of two main theories: special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity explains the behavior of objects moving at constant speeds, while general relativity explains the behavior of objects in the presence of gravity. The theory of relativity has been extensively tested and is considered one of the most accurate and successful theories in modern physics.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is a constant property of an object and does not change, while weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational field. For example, an object may have the same mass on Earth and on the moon, but its weight will be different due to the difference in gravitational pull.

4. What is the role of mathematics in physics?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in physics as it provides a language to describe and explain the natural world. Through mathematical equations and models, physicists are able to make predictions and test theories about the behavior of physical systems. Without mathematics, many of the complex concepts and theories in physics would be impossible to understand and study.

5. How does energy relate to matter?

According to Einstein's famous equation E=mc², energy and matter are fundamentally interconnected and can be converted into one another. Matter can be thought of as a concentrated form of energy, and energy can be thought of as a diffuse form of matter. This relationship is a key concept in understanding nuclear reactions and the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.