How to come up with good questions to answer

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
In summary: However, it is important to balance these projects with those related to your main research focus. As long as you are thoughtful and intentional about your research questions, you can make progress towards your goal of publishing quality work while also expanding your skills and knowledge.
bjnartowt
I'm entering into my 2nd year of my PhD program at UF, and want to go into condensed matter theory. I'm working on a project where I'm designing, in essence, a molecular engine (at this point, not really designing, but rather "analyzing and understanding"). I am not sure how far away I am from publishing. Now, I do not want to publish garbage (i.e., publish for the sake of publishing), but I do need to not perish. I intend to get into academia (my office mate got a tenure track position at Georgia Tech, and he was doing CM-theory as well; moreover, the real "pen n' paper" type stuff). How do I come up with good questions to research? I'm trying my best right now on my project: "is this particular quantity positive-definite, is this...etc." But I feel like I could be doing more. Should I read some books?

One professor came up to me and asked me to do a project where I'd write a code to make the coordinates to a chaotic oscillator (from an undergraduate lab project) so he could 3D-print-out an evolving Poincare section (with zero volume and infinite surface area, in theory!). Another fellow, a student, (a CM-experimentalist) wanted me to find out nuclear electric quadrupole moment frequencies, and it turned out you needed to learn how to compute electronic structure. I was worried that doing these two projects would take me too far outside my skill set, but should I have undertaken them? Or should I stick with projects related to molecular engine design, and outward?

Hopefully, these questions aren't too ill-posed...

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are looking to come up with good questions to research, the best way to do so is to read extensively in your field. Reading books and papers in your field will give you a better understanding of the current research and help you identify areas that might be ripe for further exploration. Additionally, talking to experts in the field and attending seminars and conferences can help you find potential research topics that you may find interesting. Finally, don't be afraid to take on projects outside of your comfort zone. These projects may help you develop new skills or teach you something new about your field.

1. How can I improve my critical thinking skills in order to come up with good questions?

One way to improve critical thinking skills is to practice actively listening and observing your surroundings. Pay attention to details, ask yourself why things are the way they are, and consider different perspectives. Additionally, reading and researching on a variety of topics can expand your knowledge and help you think critically about different subjects.

2. What are some strategies for brainstorming good questions?

One strategy is to use the "5 W's and 1 H" method - ask who, what, where, when, why, and how. Another approach is to think about your own interests and experiences and how they relate to the topic. You can also try asking open-ended questions and considering different angles or perspectives.

3. How can I ensure my questions are clear and concise?

To make sure your questions are clear and concise, try to avoid using vague or ambiguous language. Use specific and precise words to convey your question clearly. Additionally, consider the context and background information your audience may need to understand the question.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when formulating questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid include asking leading or biased questions, using jargon or technical terms without explaining them, and asking multiple questions in one. It's also important to avoid asking overly personal or offensive questions.

5. How can I use questions to spark creativity and innovation?

Questions can be powerful tools for sparking creativity and innovation. One way to do this is by asking "what if" questions that challenge current assumptions and encourage out-of-the-box thinking. Another approach is to ask open-ended questions that allow for multiple solutions and ideas to emerge.