Some specific questions about waves

In summary, the conversation discusses various questions related to waves and their properties. The first question is about the relationship between tension and wave speed, with a possible answer of 4. The second question asks about the effects of doubling power on amplitude and speed in a harmonic wave. The third question involves solving for wavelength using the given information about the number of vibrations, time, and distance traveled. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use an equation to confirm the answers and a question about the definition of frequency.
PinkSheep
Okay, I have this study guide for a test, but I'm having troubles figuring out the answers...so these are some things I'm wondering:

1. If you have a taut string, by what factor would you have to increase the tension to double the wave speed?
I think it's 4, but I'm not sure.

2. If a string is under constant tension and generates a harmonic wave, by what factor would the amplitude and speed change if the power is doubled?
I have no clue on this one.

3. And how would you go about solving this problem: A sinusoidal wave is traveling along a rope. The oscillator that generates the wave completes 40 vibrations in 30s. A given peak travels 5m along the rope in 2s. What is the wavelength?
I know wavelength equals speed divided by frequency...but I don't know what to use as speed or frequency, so therein lies my problem.

Any help and/or explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try it at the equation so you will be sure?

[tex] v = \sqrt{\frac{T}{\lambda_{density}} [/tex]

Example

[tex] v = \sqrt{\frac{4T}{\lambda_{density}} [/tex]

[tex] v = 2 \sqrt{\frac{T}{\lambda_{density}} [/tex]

[tex] v_{new} = 2 v_{old} [/tex]

What is the definition of frequency?

frequency = oscilations/time

Last edited:
PinkSheep said:
Okay, I have this study guide for a test, but I'm having troubles figuring out the answers...so these are some things I'm wondering:

1. If you have a taut string, by what factor would you have to increase the tension to double the wave speed?
I think it's 4, but I'm not sure.
Use:
[tex]v = \sqrt{\frac{T}{m/L}}[/tex]

2. If a string is under constant tension and generates a harmonic wave, by what factor would the amplitude and speed change if the power is doubled?
I have no clue on this one.
The energy of a mass, dm, undergoing simple harmonic motion, is proportional to the square of its amplitude. This is apparent, for example, in a mass spring system where the energy of the mass is [itex]\frac{1}{2}kx^2[/itex].
The power is the time rate of change of energy. So how is the power related to the speed and the square of the amplitude?

3. And how would you go about solving this problem: A sinusoidal wave is traveling along a rope. The oscillator that generates the wave completes 40 vibrations in 30s. A given peak travels 5m along the rope in 2s. What is the wavelength?
I know wavelength equals speed divided by frequency...but I don't know what to use as speed or frequency, so therein lies my problem.
The speed is 2.5 m/sec. The frequency is 80 cps. Solve for wavelength.

AM

1) What are the different types of waves?

There are several types of waves, including mechanical waves (such as sound and seismic waves) and electromagnetic waves (such as light and radio waves).

2) How do waves travel?

Waves travel through a medium, which can be a solid, liquid, or gas. The particles of the medium vibrate or oscillate as the wave passes through, but they do not actually move from their original position.

3) What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

In general, the shorter the wavelength of a wave, the higher its frequency. This means that waves with shorter wavelengths have more cycles per second (or hertz) than those with longer wavelengths.

4) How do waves interact with each other?

When two waves meet, they can either interfere constructively (creating a larger amplitude) or destructively (canceling each other out). The resulting wave depends on the amplitude and phase of the two original waves.

5) Can waves be reflected, refracted, or diffracted?

Yes, waves can be reflected (bounce off a surface), refracted (change direction when passing through different mediums), and diffracted (bend around obstacles). These behaviors can be observed in different types of waves, including light and water waves.