Exploring Wedge Product: A Theoretical Physics Primer

In summary, the group discussed the term "wedge product" and its usage in physics, specifically in relation to vector and tensor products. It was suggested to read up on Melnikov analysis for a better understanding. The wedge product was also mentioned as a useful tool in calculating determinants and has variations in terms of vector and covector fields.
Marin
Hi all!

The prof for "theoretical methods in physics" mentioned last week the term "wedge product" but it all remained very unclear to me. I read about it in Wikipedia, but couldn`t catch it at all, cause I`m doing in the first semester now.

Does anyone know where I could find it well explained?

Thanks in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
In which context was it mentioned? Did it have to do with vectors? Or with tensors?

it´s was given as a generalisation of the vector product

Marin said:
Hi all!

The prof for "theoretical methods in physics" mentioned last week the term "wedge product" but it all remained very unclear to me. I read about it in Wikipedia, but couldn`t catch it at all, cause I`m doing in the first semester now.

Does anyone know where I could find it well explained?

Thanks in advance! :)

It's a dot product, but for functions rather than for vectors, it might help if you read upon melnikov analysis, a rather useful tool to analyse bifurcation boundaries on the parameter space, it involves the wedge product in its definition.

read spivak, calculus on manifolds, i think chapter 4. it is a skew symmetric multiplication, used to make determinants more routinely computational. i.e. the determinant of a matrix is essentially the wedge product of its rows. the wedge product of two n vectors, is a vector with n choose 2 entries, namely the 2by2 submatrices of the corresponding 2 by n matrix,..etc...

the wedge product of three n vectors is: guess what? oh there is also a variational version, wherein one takes the wedge product of vector fields and covector fields, etc...

TheIsingGuy said:
It's a dot product, but for functions rather than for vectors, it might help if you read upon melnikov analysis, a rather useful tool to analyse bifurcation boundaries on the parameter space, it involves the wedge product in its definition.

wait what? Is the meaning of wedge product different in melinov analysis as compared to geometry? ... This certainly isn't the meaning in geometry.

1. What is the Wedge Product in theoretical physics?

The Wedge Product is a mathematical operation used in theoretical physics to define and manipulate vectors and tensors. It is also known as the exterior product and is represented by the symbol ∧. It is used to combine two vectors or tensors to create a new object that is perpendicular to both of the original objects.

2. How is the Wedge Product used in physics?

The Wedge Product is used in various areas of theoretical physics, such as electromagnetism, relativity, and quantum mechanics. It is used to define quantities such as electric and magnetic fields, angular momentum, and spin. It is also used in differential geometry to define the curvature of space-time.

3. What are the properties of the Wedge Product?

The Wedge Product has several important properties that make it useful in theoretical physics. These include distributivity, associativity, and anti-commutativity. Additionally, the Wedge Product of two vectors is zero if the vectors are parallel, and it is equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors if they are perpendicular.

4. How is the Wedge Product related to the Cross Product?

The Wedge Product and the Cross Product both involve the combination of two vectors, but they are different operations. The Cross Product only applies to three-dimensional vectors, while the Wedge Product can be used for any number of dimensions. Additionally, the Cross Product results in a vector, while the Wedge Product results in a bivector (a two-dimensional object).

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Wedge Product?

Yes, the Wedge Product has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and robotics. It is used to calculate the shortest distance between two lines, to determine the orientation of objects, and to model the motion of rigid bodies. It is also used in computer algorithms for image processing and 3D modeling.