How Do You Calculate the Sunset Time on the Winter Solstice at 40 Degrees North?

In summary, the conversation is about a new member seeking help with calculating the zone time of the center of the sun on the winter solstice for their astronomy class. They have the necessary information but are unsure how to set up the calculations. They are recommended to use spherical trigonometry and a book that provides hand calculation methods and a computer program.
smmSTV
Hi everyone, new member here. Anyway, for my astronomy class my professor wants us to calculate the zone time the center of the sun sets on the winter solstice, at 40 degrees north latitude, and I'm a bit stuck. I know on the winter solstice, the declination of the sun is -23.5 degrees and the right ascension is 18h, and since it would be setting the altitude would be zero. I figured out that I need to find the hour angle of the sun at that exact moment, and use this as the local apparent solar time, and correct to make it mean solar time. I think the objective is to use spherical trigonometry and set up a triangle in the sky, but I'm at a loss of how to set it up, so if anyone could give me a few pointers, that would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org

1. When does the sun typically set?

The time the sun sets can vary depending on the time of year and your location. Generally, it sets between 5pm and 9pm, with the latest sunsets occurring in the summer months and the earliest in the winter months.

2. How can I find the exact time the sun sets in my area?

You can use a variety of online tools and apps to find the exact time the sun sets in your area. Some popular options include timeanddate.com, the Weather Channel app, and the Sunrise-Sunset app.

3. Can I calculate the time the sun sets myself?

Yes, you can calculate the time the sun sets by using the known sunrise time and the length of the day. The sunset time will be approximately 12 hours after the sunrise time.

4. Why does the time the sun sets change throughout the year?

The time the sun sets changes throughout the year due to the tilt of the Earth's axis. This tilt causes the amount of daylight to vary, with longer days in the summer and shorter days in the winter.

5. Does daylight saving time affect the time the sun sets?

Yes, daylight saving time can affect the time the sun sets. When we "spring forward" and move our clocks ahead one hour, the sun will set one hour later. Similarly, when we "fall back" and move our clocks back one hour, the sun will set one hour earlier.