Proving ||L + M|| < ||L|| + ||M|| for Linear Transformations L, M

In summary: The key step was to choose an arbitrary vector in the domain with norm less than or equal to 1 and use the linearity of the maps to show that the norm of the sum of the maps is less than or equal to the sum of the individual norms. The participants also briefly discussed their thought process and doubts about the solution.
j0k3R_

Homework Statement

for L, M: V -> W, L, M, linear let||L|| = sup{|L(v)|: v in V, |v| <= 1}

show ||L + M|| < ||L|| + ||M||

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so is it true that if |L(x) + M(x)| defines a sup for L + M (x for which |L(x) + M(x)| is the sup), then it also defines a sup for L and sup for M, as L and M are both defined on V? I am getting caught up on this and I am thinking maybe there's a simpler way, i.e., either defining sets and using the standard results for sup on sets, or to exploit the linearity in a clever way

think I am overlooking something simple

Physics news on Phys.org
Pick a vector [tex] \mathbf v [/tex] such that [tex] \|\mathbf v \| \le 1 [/tex].
Then what can you do with this?

[tex]
|L(\mathbf v) + M(\mathbf v)| \le |L(\mathbf v)| + |M(\mathbf v)|
[/tex]

(think about the given norm and the r.h.s. first, then think again about the definition of this norm and the l.h.s. remember that [tex] \mathbf v [/tex] is arbitrary )

suppose we have v satisfying the conditions. then |L(v) + M(v)| <= |L(v)| + |M(v)| <= ||L|| + ||M|| so sup(|L(v) + M(v)|) = ||L + M|| <= ||L|| + ||M||.

j0k3R_ said:
suppose we have v satisfying the conditions. then |L(v) + M(v)| <= |L(v)| + |M(v)| <= ||L|| + ||M|| so sup(|L(v) + M(v)|) = ||L + M|| <= ||L|| + ||M||.

BINGO!

One minor quibble - you would usually see your final line written in this order:

[tex]
||L + M || = \sup_{||\mathbf v || =1}|(L+M)\mathbf v| \le ||L|| + ||M||
[/tex]

i got mthis solution in few second but am spending several hours thinking about it

but i do not have confidence i am thinking "this is silly something i did wrong, this norm can be complex structure etc" thinking about something extra etc.etc

okay thanks for this very much :)

oof

1. What is the meaning of "||L||" in transformations?

"||L||" refers to the length of a vector in linear algebra. It is a measure of the magnitude or size of a vector.

2. How are transformations represented in mathematics?

Transformations can be represented using matrices or geometrically using diagrams and coordinates. They involve manipulating the position, size, and orientation of objects in a mathematical space.

3. What is the purpose of transformations in science?

Transformations are used to describe and analyze various phenomena in science, such as the motion of objects, changes in energy, and the behavior of particles. They help us understand and predict how systems and objects change over time.

4. What are the different types of transformations?

There are several types of transformations, including translation, rotation, reflection, and dilation. Translation involves moving an object without changing its size or shape. Rotation involves turning an object around a fixed point. Reflection involves flipping an object over a line or plane. Dilation involves stretching or shrinking an object in size.

5. How are transformations used in real-world applications?

Transformations have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, computer graphics, and image processing. They are used to create 3D models, map out the movement of particles, and analyze data in various scientific studies. They also have practical uses in everyday life, such as in GPS navigation and computer animation.