What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #3,326
nismaratwork said:
:rofl: Well, I know what religion you were NOT raised in. I had a lovely girlfriend many years ago who was Jewish, and this dish (in a more appetizing form... bad picture hastily obtained sorry!) 'Carrot Tzimmes' (sp?) was served on some holidays. I got hooked on the things, and um... not olives, but prunes. I realize that for some, that's six of one and a half dozen of the other as far as eating is concerned, but it taste GREAT!

I've never eaten better chicken either, but boy did that relationship fail. *wince* (not for religious reasons, obviously, with my atheist behind)

Thank you for the welcome. That really is a nice picture of Tzimmes and I love it too. Hubby who joined the tribe later in life hated it in the beginning and now I better make myself a dish before bringing it to the table or I will not even get a bite. I have seen him set the serving dish by himself and serve the guests and not because he wants to be so helpful! :rofl: Pit bull at the table!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzimmes"

The photo of the ham and beans looked so much like how our cholent looks like when it first starts off on Friday after noon. We make it in a crockpot and seal it with foil. After that it just does what it does and we open it the next day late morning to prepare for lunch. Having the Ashkenazi cholent all my life, I stared to :yuck: hate it so when Hubby started making it, (which is the tradition that the man of the house makes the cholent) he began looking at the Sephardi cholent. We love it and it's always delicious and always different. Very exciting and spicy.
Cholent:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholent"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,327
Here are the beans from yesterday :biggrin: I shall be having some again today :)

Attachments

• beanz.jpg
    beanz.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 333
  • #3,328
Lacy33 said:
Thank you for the welcome. That really is a nice picture of Tzimmes and I love it too. Hubby who joined the tribe later in life hated it in the beginning and now I better make myself a dish before bringing it to the table or I will not even get a bite. I have seen him set the serving dish by himself and serve the guests and not because he wants to be so helpful! :rofl: Pit bull at the table!

The photo of the ham and beans looked so much like how our cholent looks like when it first starts off on Friday after noon. We make it in a crockpot and seal it with foil. After that it just does what it does and we open it the next day late morning to prepare for lunch. Having the Ashkenazi cholent all my life, I stared to :yuck: hate it so when Hubby started making it, (which is the tradition that the man of the house makes the cholent) he began looking at the Sephardi cholent. We love it and it's always delicious and always different. Very exciting and spicy.
Cholent:

I just learned more about practical Jewish tradition in your post than I have in the last 10 years! Cholent... it seems a lot of food in Jewish tradition has great symbolic value, even if it's not a 'holiday'. Thanks very much, and I'm glad you have delicious cholent now... spicy... sounds good to me!

• #3,329
HeLiXe said:
Here are the beans from yesterday :biggrin: I shall be having some again today :)

How can I say this without sounding like a pervert or being banned...

I WANT YER BEANS! Gimme yer beans!

nah... wrong tone.

*seriously, that looks so good, I can practically feel the texture of the cooked beans... mmmm*

• #3,330
nismaratwork said:
I just learned more about practical Jewish tradition in your post than I have in the last 10 years! Cholent... it seems a lot of food in Jewish tradition has great symbolic value, even if it's not a 'holiday'. Thanks very much, and I'm glad you have delicious cholent now... spicy... sounds good to me!

:smile:

• #3,331
nismaratwork said:
How can I say this without sounding like a pervert or being banned...

I WANT YER BEANS! Gimme yer beans!

nah... wrong tone.

*seriously, that looks so good, I can practically feel the texture of the cooked beans... mmmm*

C'mon Nismar...You're not asking me for cookies:tongue2:

The meat is lamb...it are really good:biggrin:

• #3,332
HeLiXe said:
Those look yummy!

• #3,333
Lacy33 said:

Cholent:
I knew about cholent, and decided it was very much like my "glop", a stew that started out with meat, and either barley, beans rice, etc... and hours later was unrecognizable, but oddly tasty and filling. I need to make a real traditional cholent though. Do you have a recipe you recommend?

My step mother-in-law was Jewish, from NY. That woman could cook! We went to my then husband's parent's house to eat at least once a week. I learned to make the world's best coleslaw from her. And the chopped chicken livers, "to die for". I loved my in-laws. That was the hardest part of my divorce, it destroyed his dad, we were so close. My ex decided my punishment was to not talk to his parents. :cry:

• #3,334
Evo said:
Those look yummy!

Thx Evo!:biggrin:

• #3,335
I lived my childhood eating dishes made of dried peas, dried beans, rice, potatoes, canned tomatoes, and other cheap staples. Some were traditional, some were family favorites, but all were meant to keep body and soul together. Often, the dishes incorporated salt pork, salted leeks, salted scallions. If you trekked down to our cellar when I was a kid, you'd see rough cupboards full of canned or pickled foods, and jars of salted vegetables.

When we had a bad potato crop due to blight, things could get a bit bleaker. Man! I hated shoveling rotting potatoes out of our large storage bin and hauling them outside. Worse, you had to toss them because composting them would inoculate your garden-soil with blight to poison your tomatoes, potatoes, and other crops for the next year.

• #3,336
HeLiXe said:
C'mon Nismar...You're not asking me for cookies:tongue2:

The meat is lamb...it are really good:biggrin:

Pervy!... and I love lamb. :biggrin:

turbo-1: I won't lie, that sounds very hard. Self made man indeed!

• #3,337
turbo-1 said:
I lived my childhood eating dishes made of dried peas, dried beans, rice, potatoes, canned tomatoes, and other cheap staples...
I was born in the south where purple hull peas grew very well. I don't think I've heard of them up here in Kansas, but I sure remember how good they taste. They're a lot like black eye peas.
2678040247_edccb0a426.jpg

• #3,338
I don't think I've ever seen those, never mind eaten them. I must try them... time to google.

• #3,339
nismaratwork said:
turbo-1: I won't lie, that sounds very hard. Self made man indeed!
Not so hard. My mother and I worked in our garden and tried to lay up enough food to keep us all fed for the next year (along with harvesting seasonal wild vegetables, berries, etc). We often think of processing, freezing, and canning as "preservation", but 50+ years ago, salting down meats and vegetables was still prominent. We had to use salting to preserve herbs and vegetables that might only be used a bit at a time. Our family had to keep using salted foods to keep cooking our favorite foods.

• #3,340
dlgoff said:
I was born in the south where purple hull peas grew very well. I don't think I've heard of them up here in Kansas, but I sure remember how good they taste. They're a lot like black eye peas.
I've seen them in places I've lived, but don't remember seeing them here.

• #3,341
turbo-1 said:
... 50+ years ago, salting down meats and vegetables was still prominent.
I may have mentioned this before. :seniormoment:

Back then there were lots of places that didn't have the luxury of refrigerators, hence the salt. Dad tells me how he would take a hog and salt it down to preserve it. But there were iceboxes, albeit not big enough for a hog. My grandfather worked in the ice business and delivered ice from the time he was 14 until he retired at 65.

• #3,342
dlgoff said:
I may have mentioned this before. :seniormoment:

Back then there were lots of places that didn't have the luxury of refrigerators, hence the salt. Dad tells me how he would take a hog and salt it down to preserve it. But there were iceboxes, albeit not big enough for a hog. My grandfather worked in the ice business and delivered ice from the time he was 14 until he retired at 65.
We don't always appreciate the ways that our parents and grandparents had to use to preserve food.

Once upon a time, if you killed a hog, you needed to parcel out most of the meat, and salt or smoke the rest of it to avoid losing it. Want to slaughter a cow? Even bigger problem for fresh dispersal, and smoking/salting the remainder. My family had little wooden kegs of salt pork. We needed that fat for cooking and needed the flavorings for traditional foods.

• #3,343
turbo-1 said:
We don't always appreciate the ways that our parents and grandparents had to use to preserve food.
Probably a little off topic but shows how important food was then.

The soil wasn't all that good in the garden, being a little rocky in the south, so what was grown was extra special. So if a mole got into the garden, grandmother would stand for hours waiting to see the Earth move then use a fork to eliminate the problem.

• #3,344
dlgoff said:
Probably a little off topic but shows how important food was then.

The soil wasn't all that good in the garden, being a little rocky in the south, so what was grown was extra special. So if a mole got into the garden, grandmother would stand for hours waiting to see the Earth move then use a fork to eliminate the problem.

I don't think this can be considered off topic at all! I learned canning and preserving from my grandmother, and I still do it today! I think anyone with a garden of any type, or access to good fresh fruits and veggies should have those skills. Why pay more for less, and less quality?

Besides... it's FUN.

The 'Jerky-based stew/chilli' concept is still delicious, even if there are other options. True, I can have bacon, but salt pork or a hock is much better sometimes. Hell, where would we be as a people with oxtail! *yum*

• #3,345
turbo-1 said:
Not so hard. My mother and I worked in our garden and tried to lay up enough food to keep us all fed for the next year (along with harvesting seasonal wild vegetables, berries, etc). We often think of processing, freezing, and canning as "preservation", but 50+ years ago, salting down meats and vegetables was still prominent. We had to use salting to preserve herbs and vegetables that might only be used a bit at a time. Our family had to keep using salted foods to keep cooking our favorite foods.

I meant the potatoes... the only thing I'd wish to do LESS, would be to muck a stable after the barn was de-wormed, and promptly fed grass. Salting and curing is still a great way to keep quality meats in my view.

• #3,346
Evo said:
I knew about cholent, and decided it was very much like my "glop", a stew that started out with meat, and either barley, beans rice, etc... and hours later was unrecognizable, but oddly tasty and filling. I need to make a real traditional cholent though. Do you have a recipe you recommend?

My step mother-in-law was Jewish, from NY. That woman could cook! We went to my then husband's parent's house to eat at least once a week. I learned to make the world's best coleslaw from her. And the chopped chicken livers, "to die for". I loved my in-laws. That was the hardest part of my divorce, it destroyed his dad, we were so close. My ex decided my punishment was to not talk to his parents. :cry:

Yup! Evo's Glop, Lacy's Slop and Cholent. All the same thing. :rofl:
In the last few years, before Hubby saved the day, I started turning it on high not caring how burnt it got, it had to taste better than it would have otherwise. :yuck:
I can say a lot about making a good cholent now watching dh. Go for the Sephardi cholents and add 4 times the spices than you would think would make it good. mostly the onion and garlic. Leave off the barley. Unless your doing construction on your home, then you can use it as cement after the Sabbath is over. :biggrin:
The Sephardi's of which I am one from my dad's side, are very spice minded and that goes for the personalities as well.
There are a lot of members here living in the middle east who can give some great advice to us on spices to use.
There is a site that you will not be able to post on because you have to take a test to get in, but I found the site looking for recipes. Have fun:
http://imamother.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33

• #3,347
Lacy33 said:
and Cholent.

It's made of people!

• #3,348
DaveC426913 said:
It's made of people!

:rofl:

• #3,349
nismaratwork said:
Pervy!
:devil:
dlgoff said:
These look so good. I had black eyed peas once before but I totally forgot what they taste like.

• #3,350
HeLiXe said:
:devil:

These look so good. I had black eyed peas once before but I totally forgot what they taste like.
Black eyed peas have a wonderful flavor. Cook some with either a smoked ham hock, bacon, or salt pork, abit of onion and some garlic could be added, but that's all you need with these flavorful peas.

• #3,351
Evo said:
Black eyed peas have a wonderful flavor. Cook some with either a smoked ham hock, bacon, or salt pork, abit of onion and some garlic could be added, but that's all you need with these flavorful peas.

Thx Evo :) I'll give it a try. I remember liking them but I cannot remember their flavor.

• #3,352
I do a lot of quick and dirty meals, so I use store bought caned vegetables including black eye peas. Normally I just season with garlic, onion, and butter.

But here's a different method that might be worth trying.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fried-Black-Eye-Peas/Detail.aspx"

• #3,353
dlgoff said:
I do a lot of quick and dirty meals, so I use store bought caned vegetables including black eye peas. Normally I just season with garlic, onion, and butter.

But here's a different method that might be worth trying.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fried-Black-Eye-Peas/Detail.aspx"
Fried black eyed pea croquettes, they sound tasty.

When I saw the link I thought you were referring to the deep fried black eyed peas that Alton Brown raved about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WlzBseu3TA

http://cookingwithtien.blogspot.com/2010/07/deep-fried-black-eyed-peas-at-relish-in.html

• #3,354
Time is ticking

LOL :rofl:

I thought this's PF RT thread. :rofl:

• #3,355
drizzle said:
Time is ticking

LOL :rofl:

I thought this's PF RT thread. :rofl:

RFT* maybe...

* random food thoughts

• #3,356
Maybe, but I konw I was eating when I posted it. :biggrin:

• #3,357
I'm making black eyed peas right now. Maybe I'll try frying some.

Last edited:
  • #3,358
Evo said:
I'm makinbg black eyed peas right now. Maybe I'll try frying some.
I hope they're ready now. I just bought a 30 pack of beer and heading your way.

• #3,359
dlgoff said:
I already have Molson Golden. Just keep driving and I'll make us a pan-seared rib-eye, some home-fries, and vegetables of your choice.

Edit: Of course, I don't have Evo's attributes. I can cook, though.

• #3,360
dlgoff said:
They're ready! I have Prime ribeye steaks too. Restaurant, special aged PRIME. Can't buy it, I got it from my meat connection.