What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #2,801
and one of the adverts for this new 'good eat'(?) program was so patronising! maybe it was meant for kids or something, but I felt like they were talking to idiots! yes, I knew there was a reason I stopped watching...

anyway, today was my baking day! I made bread! yeah!
and I made a potato-lasagne with potato, pasta, onions, bacon, cheese, and left over mussel juice roux! yum!

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,802
Evo said:
Oh, I don't ever watch her, she's got to be the worst and most annoying.
Oh, the Krieger woman that is selling weight-loss programs. You can lose weight, keep it off, and never be hungry! Unless you are a normal person who gets cravings for specific foods.

I could lose weight on a steady diet of Kraft macaroni and cheese because I simply wouldn't eat that nasty stuff. Make anything unpalatable enough and nobody will eat enough of it to gain weight.

• #2,803
turbo-1 said:
Oh, the Krieger woman that is selling weight-loss programs. You can lose weight, keep it off, and never be hungry! Unless you are a normal person who gets cravings for specific foods.

I could lose weight on a steady diet of Kraft macaroni and cheese because I simply wouldn't eat that nasty stuff. Make anything unpalatable enough and nobody will eat enough of it to gain weight.

lol yeah! that's her! today she made some steak salad which looked really unappetising and ruined a good steak! steak should be served with potatos! NOT as a salad!

• #2,804
Steak salad. :yuck:

Turbo-1: Yep, lifestyle change is good for weight-loss... anything less is just begging for that weight to return.

• #2,805
turbo-1 said:

Why is it that health nuts are always so annoying? You don't have to be annoying in order to show examples of low calorie food.

• #2,806
Evo said:
Why is it that health nuts are always so annoying? You don't have to be annoying in order to show examples of low calorie food.
I haven't watched her show, but people who are selling weight-control programs are often just as annoying as the vegan proselytizers. "Evangenlical foodies!" Hate 'em. My parents' families were farmers/loggers, and they ate what would today be considered an "unhealthy" diet with whole fats, cream, butter, salt pork, lard, etc. My grandfather was 6'5" and less than 200# with hands like dinner-plates and a wedding ring so big you could pass a quarter through it. Even in his mid-70's I would defy anybody to out-grip that old guy. You can be healthy and eat stuff that is commonly condemned today if you burn it off.

Also, there are all kinds of healthy, low-calorie foods that are quite tasty, without submitting to some food nazi's ideas. As nismar said, yes, you have to commit to changing your diet to effect any permanent dietary/health changes, but you need not suffer in the process.

• #2,807
turbo-1 said:
I know what you meant. I'm home about every day, and when the weather is bad, it would be nice to have some informative cooking shows on TV. Unfortunately, the Food Network falls far short of that mark. I learned basic French cooking, canning, pickling, etc from my mother, and learned how to manage meals for large groups from my grandmother, who cooked for a large log-driving crew every day for years.

For an example of what a cooking show *should* be, see if you can get 'hold of Michael Jubinsky's "Artisan Bread" Lesson on DVD, sponsored by King Arthur Flour. It's only 50 minutes, but it is packed with tips and tricks. My wife attended a milling and baking seminar last summer, and bought that DVD - it was well worth the investment. She now makes the best French bread ever.
Some critical tips:
~ keep your dough wet, and resist the temptation to add flour to reduce stickiness
~ don't man-handle the dough or knead it - stretch it using its own weight, fold it, and turn 90 degrees and repeat
~ don't dip your measuring cup into the flour. Use a scoop to get the flour out of the cannister, and dust it into the measuring cup for a fair measure. If you plunge the measuring cup into the flour, you'll end up with far too much flour because you have packed it tightly. Alternatively, you can weigh the flour.
~ those slashes on French breads aren't decorative - you make the slashes to relieve pressure during baking, to avoid "blowing out", deforming the shape of the loaves.

There's a lot more in that DVD, so if you'd like to make great French bread, the lesson is a "must-have".
Funny, since my mother made home made French bread, (loves, cloverleaf rolls, etc...) once or twice a week, so I grew up knowing what to do. You always think "everyone knows this".

Another thing I always knew, but seems many people don't, is that when you boil potatoes to make potato salad, that the potatoes need to be boiled whole in the skin, then cooled and peeled and *then* cubed. The skins prevent the potato from absorbing water.

Of course now it's common to see the skins of new potatoes in salads, and yukon golds don't need to be peeled, but still, do not cut your potatoes up before boiling!

It was also nice to see "real, authentic" mashed potatoes on tv last night, the way they were originally invented. That doesn't mean I don't also enjoy the lazy version of lumpy or "half smashed" potatoes that you see everywhere. But if you have never had the original recipe where the potatoes are run through a ricer to ensure the potatoes are creamed and then whipped with butter, you can't imagine what a textural sensation you are missing. Those were what I grew up on, since my mother was French. No surprise it is how Joel Robuchon and other 4-5 Michelin star chefs make them. Let me know if you want instructions.

Last edited:
  • #2,808
Evo said:
Funny, since my mother made home made French bread, (loves, cloverleaf rolls, etc...) once or twice a week, so I grew up knowing what to do. You always think "everyone knows this".
Jubinsky's lesson DVD contains detailed instruction in the use of poolish (starter pre-fementation base) that is key in the development of complex flavors and textures in what is otherwise an extremely simple bread recipe. I had a couple of great-aunts that kept nurturing "starter" doughs for years and years, and they were great bread-makers. My mother made hers fresh every time with a time-line of less than a day, IIR.

I don't know if cloverleaf rolls are the same, but my mother used to put 3 lightly buttered balls of yeast dough into each compartment of a large muffin tin, and we'd end up with big puffy rolls that easily separated into thirds. They didn't end up with as crispy a crust as her loaves (perhaps due to the handling to make dough-balls), but they were nice light, soft rolls.

• #2,809
turbo-1 said:
Jubinsky's lesson DVD contains detailed instruction in the use of poolish (starter pre-fementation base) that is key in the development of complex flavors and textures in what is otherwise an extremely simple bread recipe. I had a couple of great-aunts that kept nurturing "starter" doughs for years and years, and they were great bread-makers. My mother made hers fresh every time with a time-line of less than a day, IIR.
French bread is made fresh every day, there is no starter. American pioneers had no hope of fresh yeast, you kept part of a previous batch to use to "start" the next batch, it became known as "sourdough".

I don't know if cloverleaf rolls are the same, but my mother used to put 3 lightly buttered balls of yeast dough into each compartment of a large muffin tin, and we'd end up with big puffy rolls that easily separated into thirds. They didn't end up with as crispy a crust as her loaves (perhaps due to the handling to make dough-balls), but they were nice light, soft rolls.
Same dough, but cooked differently.

Turbo, come watch Hell's Kitchen with me, MIH & Cyrus! It's an inside look at working in a large professional kitchen.

Last edited:
  • #2,810
Evo said:
Same dough, but cooked differently
Yes. The dough was the same and the result (rolls vs crusty loaves) were different. The rolls were softer and finer-grained, and the loaves were crustier with more internal voids. I never learned all my mother's baking secrets, aside from my mastery of flaky pastry biscuits. Her mastery of pie-crusts was very impressive. She got to the point that she could pre-make pie-crusts, fill the crusts with filling (tourtiere was a favorite), freeze the whole assembly, and pop it into a pre-heated oven on a moment's notice when company popped in, and come up with delicious pies that felt and tasted like they were made that day. My mother was a food wizard.

• #2,811
Evo said:
Turbo, come watch Hell's Kitchen with me, MIH & Cyrus! It's an inside look at working in a large professional kitchen.
I'm watching a NOVA show on Darwin. Maybe I'll learn something.

• #2,812
I just checked (curiosity) and I don't have Hell's Kitchen. Except maybe when I'm processing my chilies into relishes. I should post a Haz-Mat sign outside when I'm doing that.

• #2,813
turbo-1 said:
I just checked (curiosity) and I don't have Hell's Kitchen. Except maybe when I'm processing my chilies into relishes. I should post a Haz-Mat sign outside when I'm doing that.
Fox is a channel you should get with an analogue antenna, so you have it.

Even if you can't find it, you can watch the entire show at the link I provided.

• #2,814
I didn't see a link, nor did I know that FOX is an OK place to get cooking advice.

• #2,815
Wow! I just watched about 10 minutes of an episode aired in August. I don't think I could watch a whole episode. So much contrived tension, insults, etc. Not fun. I can see how some people might find the show entertaining, watching Ramsey abusing the participants and waiting for them to crack, but it's not my cup of tea.

I want to learn new cooking techniques and want to learn not only the how, but the why. that's why I like Michael Jubinsky's DVD on artisan breads so well. He explains the science behind baking. It's no wonder that he uses that approach so effectively. From his bio:

Michael Jubinsky is a sought-after and accomplished bread baking instructor who just happens to be a consultant engineer in nuclear submarine safety. For more than 10 years, Michael was, by day, Director of Submarine Safety for the US Navy at the Electric Boat Shipyard in Groton, Connecticut; but come evening he could be found pursuing his avocation - teaching bread baking to as many as 500 people at a time. For over 20 years, Michael has taught various aspects of baking, specializing in bread. He is a Culinary Arts Instructor in the Connecticut Vocational Education System and has been a licensed Connecticut Retail Baker and a staff instructor for Connecticut Culinary Institute. He also pens a bi-weekly food column for "The Day" newspaper in New London, Connecticut and is a member of the International Association of Culinary Professionals. As a spokesman for King Arthur Flour, Michael has also been a frequent radio and television guest. Today, Michael is particularly adept at traditional ethnic breads such as Stollen, Polish Babka and Challah. Students often watch in amazement as he demonstrates braiding techniques, balancing a bread board in front of him and deftly weaving as many as 6 strands of dough to form a braided bread. "It's easy," he explains. "If you can cross your legs you can make a braided bread!" He makes everything he teaches seem easy, often by drawing on secrets learned from his grandmother or by sharing tips gleaned from his students.Michael lives in Lyman, Maine, with his wife, Sandy and their bulldog, Emily.

I learned from a couple of very good cooks, but often had to fall back on monkey-see/monkey-do learning. Often, I'd ask about why it was necessary to do something in a particular way only to hear something like "That's the way my mother did it, and this is her recipe." I like Jubinsky's teaching method really well. He doesn't dumb things down and he is very thorough at explaining the "whys".

Last edited:
  • #2,816
Have a garden or access to a farmer's market? If so, try baking your beets. I fired up our little quartz-heater oven to make supper, and before I prepared the baking potatoes, I washed some fresh beets, wrapped them in an aluminum-foil pouch, and put that in the oven at 450 deg about 20 minutes before the baking potatoes went in. When you unwrap the beets, slice off a bit of the root end, and the skins will come off quickly and cleanly (OK you'll get red finger-tips). The beets tasted great, with minimal loss of juice. Put those and the potatoes along-side fresh-grilled flatiron steak, and we had a wonderful end-of-summer supper on the deck.

• #2,817
In case one is looking for a good ginger beer:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/07/ginger-beer-taste-test-gus-ginger-people-reeds-fentimans-great-uncle-cornelius.html

I usually buy Goya, but I going to try and find Fentimans, Reed's and Uncle Cornelius.

• #2,818
Astronuc said:
In case one is looking for a good ginger beer:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/07/ginger-beer-taste-test-gus-ginger-people-reeds-fentimans-great-uncle-cornelius.html

I usually buy Goya, but I going to try and find Fentimans, Reed's and Uncle Cornelius.

I would seriously consider adding http://www.barrittsgingerbeer.bm/ to the list. It's a true ginger beer; cloudy and on the mild side, but with a true ginger flavor. It's a nice contrast to the spicier Jamaican brews, but not weak by any means. The bottle is of course, the only way to go.

• #2,819
I've had several Jamaican ginger beers, but I can't recall the brands.

I'm going to try to find Barritt's too, but I haven't seen it in my area. The main stores tend not to carry the spicier drinks.

I used to get custom smoothies at a little shop in San Diego. The vendor would take raw ginger and puree it with apples, and the apple juice would carry out the ginger juice. Really spicy smoothies.

• #2,820
Astronuc said:
I've had several Jamaican ginger beers, but I can't recall the brands.

I'm going to try to find Barritt's too, but I haven't seen it in my area. The main stores tend not to carry the spicier drinks.

I used to get custom smoothies at a little shop in San Diego. The vendor would take raw ginger and puree it with apples, and the apple juice would carry out the ginger juice. Really spicy smoothies.

First... that smoothie sounds out of this world.
Second... unto you I render Barritts! http://www.beveragesdirect.com/browse/search.asp?KEYWORDS=barritts

I've purchased from these guys before, and they ship fresh products, unbroken.

Oh, and the Reed's in the list that you've linked to is classic Jamaican.

For a great source of Crystallized ginger to make your own smoothies (or even ginger beer!), I've found this place to be the best: http://www.sphinxdateranch.com/Crystallized-Ginger-Slices-1-lb-Bulk-Dried-Fruit-Pack/productinfo/253/

Their Madjool dates are insanely good too.

Good Eats Ginger Beer (fermented at home, non alcoholic of course): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ginger-ale-recipe/index.html

and a different take: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/easy-peasy-ginger-beer-recipe/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,821
Ginger is like food of the gods :!).

• #2,822
lisab said:
Ginger is like food of the gods :!).

Nutritious, delicious, good for motion sickness, makes great candy, tea, soda, and savory foods... you have a point.

• #2,823
I've had an interesting ginger-dark chocolate bar and a ginger raspberry jam that was really good.

The ginger smoothie was a standard tropical blend. He added extra ginger at my request.

• #2,824
Pickled ginger for sushi and my gingerbread cookies with lemon icing at Christmas. I have never taken to candied ginger.

I slice up raw ginger root and keep it in a small jar of sherry in the fridge. Lasts forever and perfect to throw into a dish.

• #2,825
Evo said:
Pickled ginger for sushi and my gingerbread cookies with lemon icing at Christmas. I have never taken to candied ginger.

I slice up raw ginger root and keep it in a small jar of sherry in the fridge. Lasts forever and perfect to throw into a dish.

Oh man, when I get sushi I ask for a bowl of the pickled ginger first thing... I LOVE IT.

Have you tried candied ginger that's actually substantial and fresh? The stuff I linked to comes in big thick slices... so you have the sugar, but it's truly to preserve and balance, not mask the taste.

btw, does anyone here like good old fashioned gingerbread, as in the moist bread? That can make for a fantastic treat, and goes well with a number of beverages. Ginger also makes a fantastic gastrique, and a good infusion for vodka, along with some pink peppercorns and citrus.

• #2,826
Astronuc said:
I've had an interesting ginger-dark chocolate bar and a ginger raspberry jam that was really good.

The ginger smoothie was a standard tropical blend. He added extra ginger at my request.

Mmm... was it a yogurt base or pure fruit and such? I'm going to try making some of these...

• #2,827
My wife and I are trying something different in the bread department. All this week, I have been tending sourdough starter and this weekend we are going to make sourdough-based seeded Jewish rye loaves.

• #2,828
nismaratwork said:
Mmm... was it a yogurt base or pure fruit and such? I'm going to try making some of these...
It was banana based (for creamy texture) IIRC with crushed ice. It had mango in it. I think there was some milk or cream it.

He ran the ginger first, then followed with apple to capture the ginger. Then blended in the fruit and then ice.

It's more or less the way Jamba juice makes a smoothie. He just perfected the tropical blend with extra ginger.

• #2,829
Astronuc said:
It was banana based (for creamy texture) IIRC with crushed ice. It had mango in it. I think there was some milk or cream it.

He ran the ginger first, then followed with apple to capture the ginger. Then blended in the fruit and then ice.

It's more or less the way Jamba juice makes a smoothie. He just perfected the tropical blend with extra ginger.

Thanks Astronuc, I'm going to give that a whirl (PUN).

• #2,830
We have some candied ginger in the 'fridge that we use to make spicy brine for roasting fowl and meat. I'll have to recommend to my wife that she use some of that up when she's making banana/berry smoothies for breakfast.

• #2,831
turbo-1 said:
We have some candied ginger in the 'fridge that we use to make spicy brine for roasting fowl and meat. I'll have to recommend to my wife that she use some of that up when she's making banana/berry smoothies for breakfast.

Mmmm... brines are the best! I brine all fowl from chicken through duck to turkey, and having done so I would never go back. Meat I usually vacuum marinade... what kind of brine do you go for?

Here's a nice way to prepare skirt steak or hanger steak:

12 hours before cooking:
Water, Soy Sauce (the real deal, no hydrolyzed protein crap), plenty of sugar, a small handful of rough chopped lemongrass, crushed garlic, ground black pepper, Salt. This is best on the highest heat you can manage. Place in bag for 12 hours, then cook.

• #2,833
I had used up current jar of chili relish and wanted a change-up for my pan-fried hot dogs (lunch). I managed to locate a 2-year-old jar of my tomato-based jalapeno salsa. Yum! The pantry is a bit disorganized, so home-made delicacies like this can sometimes escape detection for a while.

• #2,834
Apple time here in Michigan! Apple muffins.Ingredients

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 cup white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup milk
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1/4 cup butter, melted
* 1 cup apple - peeled, cored and chopped

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
2. Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, stir together milk, egg and butter. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture just until combined. Don't over stir!
Fold in chopped apples. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

• #2,835
That looks delicious hypatia!

Last weekend I received a large bag of poaching pears, home grown ones out of someone's garden. I've been poaching them in red wine every night and can't get enough of it, delicious! I still have many left, are there any good suggestions for other ways to prepare them?