What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #4,201
You won't believe this one! When I stopped by a friend's house recently, he insisted that I try some of their home made pizza. It was a very fine pizza, quite good in fact, but the shocker came after I had finished eating a piece - the crust was made out of cauliflower!

I just found the recipe [or one very similar]
http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2009/05/low-carb-pizza-dough-cauliflower.html

This is wonderful news for me! I had to stop eating pizza, one of my favorites, because all of the carbs in the crust wreak havoc on my blood sugar. Pizza is back on the menu! YAY!

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,202
Ivan Seeking said:
You won't believe this one! When I stopped by a friend's house recently, he insisted that I try some of their home made pizza. It was a very fine pizza, quite good in fact, but the shocker came after I had finished eating a piece - the crust was made out of cauliflower!

I just found the recipe [or one very similar]
http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2009/05/low-carb-pizza-dough-cauliflower.html

This is wonderful news for me! I had to stop eating pizza, one of my favorites, because all of the carbs in the crust wreak havoc on my blood sugar. Pizza is back on the menu! YAY!
Good for you! I hope you can get some of that comfort food back!

My wife and I have reverted to using soft tortillas instead of our home-made yeasty crusts, in part because of that reason. I have no problem with blood sugar, but her family has a strong history of diabetes. We eat (essentially) NO sweets, and she bakes bread for me every weekend. I'll eat a loaf of home-made French bread every week with no problem, but she doesn't indulge too much. If you have a blood-glucose meter and are willing to chart things frequently, you can see what carbs can do to people whose bodies can't process carbs efficiently. It's pretty illuminating. I am not surprised by US obesity levels, and increases in obesity-related diseases, but I am surprised that more people haven't fallen into severe diabetes, when they can lose their vision, their limbs (due to loss of peripheral circulation), and become crippled by kidney failure.

Again, I'm glad that you can manage to start making a favorite food again. I'd have to try that cauliflower-crust before becoming a convert, but the sauce, the toppings, and the seasonings are the heart of a pizza.

• #4,203
turbo said:
I'd have to try that cauliflower-crust before becoming a convert, but the sauce, the toppings, and the seasonings are the heart of a pizza.

I never never never would have guessed. It did seem just a bit unusual, but it was good.

They use a thin silicone pad on the baking pan. I guess that helps it cook properly.

• #4,204
Ivan Seeking said:
I never never never would have guessed. It did seem just a bit unusual, but it was good.

They use a thin silicone pad on the baking pan. I guess that helps it cook properly.
Is there any material to bind the cauliflower? I'm asking because my wife might like to try this alternate crust. I am not a huge fan of cauliflower, but I grow it every year because my wife loves it. Go figure! She likes summer squash and zucchini, too. I think those crops are wasted space.

• #4,205
turbo said:
Is there any material to bind the cauliflower? I'm asking because my wife might like to try this alternate crust. I am not a huge fan of cauliflower, but I grow it every year because my wife loves it. Go figure! She likes summer squash and zucchini, too. I think those crops are wasted space.

I posted a link to the recipe. They use egg and mozzarella cheese.

I don't like cauliflower either.

• #4,206
Ivan Seeking said:
I posted a link to the recipe. They use egg and mozzarella cheese.

I don't like cauliflower either.
Thanks. Just trying to be as accurate as possible. She who must not be mislead (who is that?) must not start from a basis too far removed from reality, lest I find myself trying to consume days' worth of not-so-tasty foods.

• #4,207
turbo said:
Thanks. Just trying to be as accurate as possible. She who must not be mislead (who is that?) must not start from a basis too far removed from reality, lest I find myself trying to consume days' worth of not-so-tasty foods.

I'm still waiting for the recipe from my buddy's wife, but the recipe linked must be about the same thing.

• #4,208
Ivan Seeking said:
I'm still waiting for the recipe from my buddy's wife, but the recipe linked must be about the same thing.
You are probably right, but I don't want to have to eat too many days' worth of mistakes.

And I really don't like cauliflower.

• #4,209
Wow, just had fresh cheese ravioli, fresh pecorino romano and asiago cheese pizza blend, with home made marinara sauce and fresh italian (thick crust) bread, from Venda Ravioli. Oh, and one more thing, fresh hand made hot italian sausage mixed in the sauce. Very good.

Rhody...

• #4,210
It's a chilly night here. I've spent all day studying and I didn't have anything good in the fridge. So I decided to walk to the cafe up the street.

I was freezing cold by the time I got there! But then I had a big bowl of split pea soup. It was good and very hot.

I walked home and wasn't the least bit cold the whole way :approve:.

• #4,211
Good split pea soup is amazing.

For a low carb pizza crust you can use just the egg and mozzarella cheese. I'll try to find the recipe. It's not bad at all. You actually crisp it before you put the toppings on.

This one uses 4 eggs and a "small package" of mozzarella cheese grated.

You beat the eggs, stir in the cheese and pour the mix into a buttered frying pan that can go in your oven. You then cook the crust without stirring on the stove top until it's crispy enough to be a pizza crust. From there you put on the toppings and put the pizza in the oven and bake until the topping cheese melts. Obviously the cauliflower added crust is lower calorie and better for you but I've done this one and it was quite good.

Last edited:
  • #4,212
netgypsy said:
Good split pea soup is amazing.

For a low carb pizza crust you can use just the egg and mozzarella cheese. I'll try to find the recipe. It's not bad at all. You actually crisp it before you put the toppings on.

This one uses 4 eggs and a "small package" of mozzarella cheese grated.

You beat the eggs, stir in the cheese and pour the mix into a buttered frying pan that can go in your oven. You then cook the crust without stirring on the stove top until it's crispy enough to be a pizza crust. From there you put on the toppings and put the pizza in the oven and bake until the topping cheese melts. Obviously the cauliflower added crust is lower calorie and better for you but I've done this one and it was quite good.
I love cauliflower, when it's homegrown, it tastes like butter.

The cheese crust sounds good.

• #4,213
Tsu made the cauliflower pizza crust pizza tonight. Incredible! There isn't even a hint of cauliflower that either one of us can detect, and it seems like a regular pizza crust. I can eat pizza and not pass out. :biggrin: Most excellent!

Course there is still enough salt and fat to choke a horse, but it is nice to have the option to have pizza occasionally.

• #4,214
Pizza without salt and fat wouldn't be pizza. When I was a kid, my uncle had a grocery store. On Fridays, the truck would show up and load his little store with cases and cases of canned goods, packaged goods, and stuff. I'd head down there after school, and mark and shelf all of the new stock with my cousin. When we were done, we'd make ourselves a pizza, topping it with steak, shrimp, fresh mushrooms, etc. My uncle got a LOT of work for a pretty affordable pay-out. A loaded pizza and a couple of sodas?

BTW, my cousin and I have stayed pretty close over the last 40+ years, and he was the project leader for Lockheed Martin on the final HST upgrade. Kids from the woods aren't always hicks.

• #4,215
I wanted to make my favorite chickenchiladas tonight, but didn't have the canned green chiles for the sauce.

So I decided to make a homemade red chili gravy, like you get in a restaurant back in Texas. This is the same gravy used on tamales.

Basically, just boil dried whole or crushed, ground red chile peppers in water.

I only had ground chili powder, so I boiled 2 cups of water, added 1 beef bouillion cube, 3 tbs chili powder, 2 tbs mild and 1 tsp hot paprika, 1 tsp cumin and a bit of garlic powder. Brought to a boil, stirring, and simmered about 1 hour.

Got the idea from here, sounds really good.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Mexican-Red-Chili-Gravy-aka-sauce/step2/Heat-the-peppers/

Last edited:
  • #4,216
So, Evo Child wanted to do some baking for Christmas. :cry:

Where's my Oster Kitchen Center?

Where's my Cuisinart?

Where's my cordless hand blender?

Where's my spring form tube pan? My spring form cake pans, my mini muffin tins, my bundt pans. Even my regular cake pans? :cry:

• #4,217
Evo said:

Where's my Cuisinart?

Where's my spring form tube pan? My spring form cake pans, my mini muffin tins, my bundt pans. Even my regular cake pans? :cry:
Am I missing the boat here, you are at Evo child's right for Christmas, and at one time Evo child either had the appliances you mentioned or you gave them to her, right ? Garage sale ?

Rhody... :grumpy:

• #4,218
rhody said:
Am I missing the boat here, you are at Evo child's right for Christmas, and at one time Evo child either had the appliances you mentioned or you gave them to her, right ? Garage sale ?

Rhody... :grumpy:
No, I was going to prepare some things ahead of time, the rest has to be hauled to her house, but I have nothing to haul. I'm not going to her house until Christmas day. Ok, well, we can make a batch of cookies and forget the rest. :frown:

She has no idea what a spring form tube pan is or what it would be used for. :tongue2:

• #4,219
Evo said:

Where's my Cuisinart?

You mean you can't find them after moving?

BTW: what was the model of the smoker you wanted for Christmas?

• #4,221
How did the chili gravy turn out? Sounds good.

Got a craving for something sweet and chocolaty. Had pretty much nothing in the house. So poured three tablespoons heavy cream, three heaping tablespoons unsweetened real cocoa powder, added cinnamon and sugar to taste, stirred it up well and had instant chocolate mousse. It was totally amazing.

• #4,222
netgypsy said:

Got a craving for something sweet and chocolaty. Had pretty much nothing in the house. So poured three tablespoons heavy cream, three heaping tablespoons unsweetened real cocoa powder, added cinnamon and sugar to taste, stirred it up well and had instant chocolate mousse. It was totally amazing.

:!)

• #4,223
Evo Child did the shopping for our Christmas dinner. She offered to pay, so I gave her a list.

:rofl: She bought miniatures of everything on the list, I hope there is enough to make the recipes.

What she doesn't realize is that she paid almost as much for the small sizes as the larger sizes.

Luckily she left before I unpacked, I'm still laughing at these tiny packages.

Oh no, I asked for toilet paper too. What is this?

• #4,224
netgypsy said:
The chili gravy was awesome, I will be making this a LOT.

• #4,225
Do you think it would be OK if a small shop torch like this were to be used for cooking? Like for creme brulee?

I don't see why not.

• #4,226
lisab said:
Do you think it would be OK if a small shop torch like this were to be used for cooking? Like for creme brulee?

I don't see why not.
Oh yeah, they use these small torches on shows like chopped, they work great, unfortunately no one can turn them off...

• #4,227
What is this thread?

• #4,228
Pengwuino said:
What is this thread?
This is the food thread.

That will be $50. Greg can arrange the transfer of your money to my account. :biggrin:

• #4,229
Pengwuino said:
What is this thread?

You don't use torches to prepare your food?!

• #4,230
Evo said:
This is the food thread.

That will be $50. Greg can arrange the transfer of your money to my account. :biggrin:

Quit trying to rob me. BYE EVO!

• #4,231
Waiter, there's a thread in my food!

• #4,232
GAH! Watching a stupid food show called The Chew, and Mario Batalli makes what he calls "white barbecue sauce". It's mayonaise and horseradish, and not even plain horseradish, he used a jar of premixed commercial horseradish and mayonaise sauce, so he basically just diluted it with more mayonaise. And you don't cook with it, it's a cold dipping sauce and everyone is oohing and ahhing like it's something unbelievable. It's horseradish sauce you morons and it's been around forever. GAH!

GAH!

• #4,233
Evo said:
GAH! Watching a stupid food show called The Chew, and Mario Batalli makes what he calls "white barbecue sauce". It's mayonaise and horseradish, and not even plain horseradish, he used a jar of premixed commercial horseradish and mayonaise sauce, so he basically just diluted it with more mayonaise. And you don't cook with it, it's a cold dipping sauce and everyone is oohing and ahhing like it's something unbelievable. It's horseradish sauce you morons and it's been around forever. GAH!

GAH!
It is so sad! What is the world coming to? I guess I could be a traditional curmudgeon and claim that things are going to hell and have been for years (apart from the moronic pronouncements on food shows). Still, it's hard to see how uninformed and gullible these food-show watchers must be to let this crap slide.

• #4,234
turbo said:
It is so sad! What is the world coming to? I guess I could be a traditional curmudgeon and claim that things are going to hell and have been for years (apart from the moronic pronouncements on food shows). Still, it's hard to see how uninformed and gullible these food-show watchers must be to let this crap slide.
These are are so-called "professional chefs" and I'm to believe that none of them have ever heard of horseradish sauce? I kept waiting for them to bust out laughing and say "we're kidding!".

In case someone thinks I'm making up the "white barbecue sauce" here it is.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=7169121

• #4,235
Evo said:
These are are so-called "professional chefs" and I'm to believe that none of them have ever heard of horseradish sauce? I kept waiting for them to bust out laughing and say "we're kidding!".

In case someone thinks I'm making up the "white barbecue sauce" here it is.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=7169121
It strains credulity. Can't these pretend chefs come up with anything new and creative? My mother and my grandmother used to have to deal with limited resources, shortages, and seasonal variations in ingredients and still come up with fantastic dishes. Their cooking was like skiing moguls free-style - keep your balance, plan your landings and launches and be prepared to adjust in mid-air.