Help with Load Cell Selections

In summary, the individual is working on a project that requires the incorporation of a load cell capable of detecting a weight change of 0.1g while accommodating a dead weight of 3-5kgs. However, finding such a load cell may be difficult and expensive. Alternatively, the individual could consider counterbalancing most of the dead weight to make the task more feasible.
TimThang
Hey everybody!

I am currently doing a project whereby I have to build a test rig for a certain corrosion sensor. As part of this rig, I have to incorporate a real time weighing mechanism to determine the weight loss of the specimen during corrosion, and log it in a PC.

Hence, I am currently looking for a load cell that is capable of accommodating a dead weight (sensor + speciment) of between 3-5kgs. However, I still require the load cell to be able to detect a weight change of 0.1g. Does anybody know of such a load cell available? If not, does anybody have any other ideas how I can go about doing this.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I thknk the chances of finding a load cell with a resolution of 0.1g in 5kg, or 1 part of 50,000, are about zilch (at least, at a price you are likely to be able to afford).

One idea would be to counterbalance most of the dead weight. You could suspend the completel device from a spring, or design a balance beam with a counterweight. You would have to be careful about friction and protect the complete device from shocks, but buying or making a load cell to weigh a resultant unbalanced force of say 10g to an accuracy of 0.1g would be a much more feasible proposition.

What is a load cell and how does it work?

A load cell is a transducer that converts force or weight into an electrical signal. It works by measuring the strain or deformation of a material under a load and converting it into an electrical output.

What factors should be considered when selecting a load cell?

The most important factors to consider when selecting a load cell include the maximum weight capacity, accuracy and precision requirements, environmental conditions, and mounting and installation requirements.

What are the different types of load cells available?

There are several types of load cells, including strain gauge load cells, hydraulic load cells, pneumatic load cells, and capacitive load cells. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications.

How do I determine the appropriate load cell capacity for my application?

The load cell capacity should be selected based on the maximum weight or force that will be applied to the load cell. It is recommended to choose a load cell with a capacity slightly higher than the maximum expected load to ensure accuracy and avoid overloading.

Are there any calibration or maintenance requirements for load cells?

Yes, load cells require periodic calibration to ensure accurate readings. It is also important to regularly inspect load cells for any damage or wear and perform necessary maintenance to ensure their proper functioning.