What Are the First Five Bragg Scattering Angles for Cu X-ray Analysis?

The structure factor for an fcc crystal can be found to be:S = 8(sin2(pi*h*a) + sin2(pi*k*a) + sin2(pi*l*a))Where a is the lattice constant (0.361nm in this case). You can quickly see that if you put in h,k,l values that are not all odd or all even, the structure factor will be zero. Hope this helps.
fatherdaly

Homework Statement

A thin polycrystalline film of Cu, with lattice parameter of 0.361 nm, is irradiated with X-rays with wavelength of 0.154 nm. Calculate the first 5 bragg scattering angles for which X-rays may be detected.

Homework Equations

2dsin([tex]\theta[/tex]) = n[tex]\lambda[/tex]

Bragg condition for constructive interference.

n is an integer.

The Attempt at a Solution

That seems the obvious equation to be using here. I rearrange it for theta

[tex]\theta[/tex] = arcsin(n[tex]\lambda[/tex]/2d)

Like that. Then I put in the numbers for n = 1, 2, 3 etc

For n=1 I get, 12.3 ish degrees

For n=2, 25.3 degrees

n=3, 39.8 degrees

n=4, 58.6

n=5, well you can't arcsin something that's >1.

Therein lies the problem. Also I have access to the answers and they're not the same as mine. I can provide them if anyone wants to know.

Please help. Not even google is able to provide answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to consider that there can be several scattering angles for n=1 (I would say definitely 5 angles) for different Miller indices. There are restrictions on which Miller indices are allowed depending on the crystal structure. The d in the Bragg equation is in general NOT the lattice constant a, but another number (a function of lattice constant and Miller indices).

The X-rays can scatter from different planes in the crystal for the same integer n, giving rise to different scattering angles. Therein lies the answer to your problems.

You can probably find more info about Bragg diffraction in your Solid State Physics book, or you can look up 'Bragg diffraction' on Wikipedia.

Thanks a lot for a fast reply. Yeah I've read up a bit on the allowed hkl values for copper which is FCC structure. I guess I'll play with the numbers until I get something similar to the answer.

You can find the restrictions on the Miller indices by calculating the structure factor S. The intensity of the reflected beams is proportional to |S|2. As it turns out, for an fcc structure the structure factor will be zero for some Miller indices leading to restrictions on which Miller indices are allowed. As it turns out, all Miller indices must be even or all odd for a reflection to occur. For all cases when the Miller indices aren't all odd or all even the intensity of the reflected wave will be zero.

I would approach this problem by first checking the given information and making sure it is correct. The lattice parameter for Cu is typically around 0.361 nm, but it can vary slightly depending on the crystal structure. I would also double check the given X-ray wavelength to make sure it is accurate.

Assuming the given information is correct, I would then proceed with the calculation using the Bragg equation. However, I would use a more precise value for the lattice parameter of Cu, such as 0.3612 nm. This may result in slightly different values for the Bragg angles.

Additionally, I would consider the limitations of the Bragg equation. It assumes perfect crystalline structure and does not take into account any defects or imperfections in the crystal. This may affect the accuracy of the calculated Bragg angles.

If the given answers do not match with the calculated values, I would try using a different equation or approach to the problem to see if it yields more accurate results. I would also consult with a colleague or refer to a trusted resource for assistance. It is important to always double check and verify results in science to ensure accuracy.

Related to What Are the First Five Bragg Scattering Angles for Cu X-ray Analysis?

1. What is Bragg scattering angle?

Bragg scattering angle is the angle at which an incident beam of X-rays, electrons, or neutrons is scattered by a crystal lattice. It is named after the British physicist William Henry Bragg who first described this phenomenon in 1912.

2. How is Bragg scattering angle calculated?

The Bragg scattering angle is calculated using the Bragg equation: nλ = 2d sinθ, where n is the order of the diffraction, λ is the wavelength of the incident beam, d is the spacing between the crystal lattice planes, and θ is the Bragg scattering angle.

3. What is the significance of Bragg scattering angle in crystallography?

Bragg scattering angle is crucial in determining the structure of crystals in crystallography. By measuring the Bragg angles, scientists can determine the spacing between atoms in a crystal lattice, which provides information about the arrangement of atoms and the overall structure of the crystal.

4. How does the Bragg scattering angle change with different crystal lattice planes?

The Bragg scattering angle is different for different crystal lattice planes due to their varying spacing. The angle increases with increasing spacing between planes, and decreases with decreasing spacing.

5. Can Bragg scattering angle be used to identify different crystal structures?

Yes, Bragg scattering angle can be used to identify different crystal structures. Each type of crystal structure has a unique pattern of Bragg angles, allowing scientists to distinguish between different crystal structures based on their diffraction patterns.