Misconceptions about Bragg scattering and how it works

In summary, diffraction through a crystal lattice can be used to isolate a single wavelength from X-rays of many wavelengths by taking advantage of constructive and destructive interference. This is achieved by finding the angle of incidence that produces constructive interference using Bragg's equation, which calculates the path difference between scattered waves at different atoms. It is also possible to use this equation to calculate the required angle for isolating a specific wavelength. However, it is important to note that this method may require further experimentation and adjustments, as initial assumptions may not always be correct.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Briefly describe how diffraction through a crystal lattice could be used to isolate a single wavelength from X-rays of many wavelengths.

Homework Equations

Bragg's equation: 2dsin(Θ)=n*λ

The Attempt at a Solution

Pretty fundamental question for the lab that I am about to go through. Instead of trying to just get by this answer, I wanted to come here and ask for some opinions and learn what I could.

Here's, so far, my early understanding:
At certain incident angles, and at certain wavelengths, diffraction through a crystal creates constructive interference. Using Braggs equation, we can then find the wavelength by plugging in the angle theta, d, and maxima.

If I'm not wrong the Bragg's equation denotes the path difference between two waves being scattered by different atoms. So certain angle of incidence will cause certain wavelengths of X-rays to form destructive interference, leaving only the wavelength of X-rays that you want. I believe it is possible to calculate the required angle by using the Bragg's equation.

Likes RJLiberator
Bump. I thought I knew the answer but I was very far off.

Likes RJLiberator
KaranTheGreat said:
Bump. I thought I knew the answer but I was very far off.

Out of curiosity, what was it that you thought you knew, that turned out to be wrong?
This may motivate the conversation further. =)

What is Bragg Scattering?

Bragg scattering is a phenomenon where X-rays are scattered off the atoms in a crystal lattice, resulting in a distinct diffraction pattern. This pattern is used to determine the structure of the crystal and the arrangement of its atoms.

Who discovered Bragg Scattering?

Bragg scattering was first discovered by William Henry Bragg and his son William Lawrence Bragg in 1913. They were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1915 for their work on X-ray crystallography, including the discovery of Bragg scattering.

How does Bragg Scattering work?

When X-rays are directed at a crystal, they interact with the electrons in the atoms, causing them to oscillate and emit secondary waves. These secondary waves interfere with each other, creating a diffraction pattern. The pattern is dependent on the arrangement of the atoms in the crystal, allowing scientists to determine its structure.

What is Bragg's Law?

Bragg's Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence of X-rays, the spacing between atomic planes in a crystal, and the wavelength of the X-rays. It is used to predict and interpret the diffraction pattern produced by Bragg scattering.

What are the applications of Bragg Scattering?

Bragg scattering is widely used in the field of X-ray crystallography to determine the structures of molecules, proteins, and other biological materials. It is also used in materials science to study the atomic structure of various materials, such as metals and semiconductors. Bragg scattering has also been used in medical imaging techniques, such as X-ray diffraction imaging, to study the structure of tissues and diagnose diseases.