Solving Exponentiation Problem Without Logarithm

• Thread starter MatheusMkalo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in English involving expressing an expression in terms of two variables, alpha and beta. The solution involves using the property of logarithms and the formula a^{b-c}=\frac{a^b}{a^c}. The book provides the answer as \alpha6 \overline{\beta}3 but the person is unsure how to arrive at that answer.
MatheusMkalo
Problem in english:
Whereas 2x = [itex]\alpha[/itex] and 2y = [itex]\beta[/itex], write the expression (0,125)y-2x in function of [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex]

Without logarithm...

Attachments

• Exercicio.png
    Exercicio.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 368
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]0,125= 1/8= 2^{-3}[/itex] so [itex](0,125)^{y- 2x}= (2^{-3})^{y-2x}= 2^{-3y+ 6x}[/itex]. Can you finish it?

Hehe i found that too but i can't put in function of alfa and beta =/

Answer in book is:
[itex]\alpha[/itex]6
[itex]\overline{\beta}[/itex]3

But i don't know how to do.

Last edited:
MatheusMkalo said:
Hehe i found that too but i can't put in function of alfa and beta =/

Answer in book is:
[itex]\alpha[/itex]6
[itex]\overline{\beta}[/itex]3

But i don't know how to do.

Did you know that [itex]a^{b-c}=\frac{a^b}{a^c}[/itex]?

No i don't see it '-' thank you very much xD

Last edited:

1. What is an exponentiation problem?

An exponentiation problem is a mathematical expression that involves raising a number to a given power. It is represented by the notation an, where a is the base and n is the exponent.

2. How do you solve an exponentiation problem?

To solve an exponentiation problem, you can use the power rule, which states that an = a x a x a ... x a (n times). You can also use a calculator or a pen and paper to calculate the value of the expression.

3. What are the properties of exponentiation?

There are several properties of exponentiation, including the multiplication property (am x an = am+n), the division property (am / an = am-n), and the power of a power property ((am)n = am x n). These properties can be useful in simplifying and solving exponentiation problems.

4. What is an exponentiation problem used for in real life?

Exponentiation problems are used in many real-life situations, such as calculating compound interest, growth rates, and population growth. They are also used in science and engineering to represent quantities that change exponentially, such as radioactive decay and bacterial growth.

5. Can you give an example of an exponentiation problem?

Sure, an example of an exponentiation problem is 23, which can be read as "2 to the power of 3". This means that we need to multiply 2 by itself 3 times, resulting in 8 (2 x 2 x 2 = 8). So, 23 = 8.