Very interesting problem that puzzles me

In summary, the problem is to find a function f with the domain of natural numbers that satisfies the conditions f(0) = 0, f(2k) = f(f(k)), and f(2k+1) = f(2k) + 1. By exploring different values for k, it can be seen that f(n) follows a simple pattern for even and odd values of n. Using proof by induction, it can be shown that this pattern holds true for all natural numbers.
jdp
One of my friends showed me this problem and I've been thinking about it all day. It's something like if f(2x) is equal to f(f(y)) and that f(2y) + 1 is f(2y +1) and f(0) is 0, what is f(n). It seems very maclaurin esque to me but... anyway... first post and pretty nice problem. Would love help figuring this beast out.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Number them:
1. f(2x)=f(f(y))
2. f(2y)+1=f(2y+1)
3. f(0)=0

guessing: x,y,n are integers?
are x and y specific numbers or is just any arbitrary number?
i.e. does this also hold: ##f(2x+1)=f(2x)+1## ?

If so then I'd start from the observations:

#1 tells you f(f(n))=f(some even number).
#2 (with #3) tells you that if n is odd, then f(n)=f(n-1)+1

That looks weird. Are you sure there isn't something missing?

By #3, [itex]f(0)=0[/itex], using [itex]y=0[/itex], by #2, [itex]f(1)=1[/itex]. Using [itex]2y=1[/itex] and #2 again, [itex]f(2)=2[/itex], and so forth.

So at least for [itex]x \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], [itex]f(x)=x[/itex].

I think OP's problem is the following:

Find ##f : \mathbb{N} \to \mathbb{N}## satisfying
  1. ##f(0) = 0##,
  2. For each ##k \in \mathbb{N}## we have ##f(2k) = f(f(k))##,
  3. For each ##k \in \mathbb{N}## we have ##f(2k+1) = f(2k) + 1##.

At the very least it prevents the trivial solution.

Note: I'm including 0 in the naturals for this problem.

Yes, I clarified. Exactly like this. I just don't know where to start

Have you had a play with the relations, looking at different numbers?

Using pwsnafu's formulation in post #4:

If ##f^{-1}\big ( f(k)\big )=k## is the inverse function in action,
then, from #2:
##f^{-1}\big ( f(2k)\big ) = f^{-1}\big ( f(f(k)\big ) \\ \Rightarrow f(k)=2k##​
But that does not fit the other clues.

Notice: 2k is always even, 2k+1 is always odd.
... so the clues are telling you what happens in the case of odd or even n.

This is how you go about exploring mathematical relations - you end up making a list of things that the relations are telling you.
It's important that you get used to this process - after a bit you spot a pattern that looks likely and you set out to prove it.

eg.
What happens when you apply the formula to k=0?
What is f(f(2k))? f(f(2k+1))?

pwsnafu said:
I think OP's problem is the following:

Find ##f : \mathbb{N} \to \mathbb{N}## satisfying
  1. ##f(0) = 0##,
  2. For each ##k \in \mathbb{N}## we have ##f(2k) = f(f(k))##,
  3. For each ##k \in \mathbb{N}## we have ##f(2k+1) = f(2k) + 1##.

At the very least it prevents the trivial solution.

Note: I'm including 0 in the naturals for this problem.
Start by doing the obvious calculations. 1 is odd: 1= 2(0)+ 1 so f(1)= f(2(0)+ 1)= f(2(0))+ 1= f(0)+ 1= 1. 2 is even: 2= 2(1) so f(2)= f(f(1))= f(1)= 1. 3 is odd: 3= 2(1)+ 1 so f(3)= f(2(1)+ 1)= f(2(1))+ 1= f(2)+ 1= 1+ 1= 2. 4 is even: 4= 2(2) so f(4)= f(2(2))= f(f(2))= f(1)= 1. 5 is odd: 5= 2(2)+ 1 so f(5)= f(2(2)+ 1)= f(2(2))+ 1= f(4)+ 1= 1+ 1= 2.

You should be able to see a very easy pattern for f(n) when n is even and for f(n) when n is odd. And then use "proof by induction" to show that you are correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the "Very interesting problem that puzzles me"?

The "Very interesting problem that puzzles me" refers to a complex and intriguing issue that has caught the attention of many researchers and scientists. It can range from a scientific phenomenon or concept that is not well understood to a real-world problem that requires innovative solutions.

Why is this problem considered to be very interesting?

This problem is considered to be very interesting because it challenges our current understanding and knowledge in a particular field. It also has the potential to lead to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements, making it a topic of great interest and curiosity among scientists.

What makes this problem so difficult to solve?

The complexity of this problem makes it difficult to solve. It may involve multiple variables and factors that interact with each other, making it hard to pinpoint the exact cause or solution. Additionally, there may be limited resources or technology available to fully understand and address the problem.

How are scientists approaching this problem?

Scientists are approaching this problem through research and experimentation. They use various methods and techniques to gather data and analyze it in order to better understand the problem. They also collaborate and share their findings with other scientists to collectively work towards a solution.

What can be the potential impact of solving this problem?

Solving this problem can have a significant impact on our understanding of the world and can lead to practical applications. It can also pave the way for further research and advancements in the field. Additionally, it can have a positive impact on society and improve our quality of life.