Delta-epsilon limit of a rational function with a jump discontinuity

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of using delta-epsilon definition to prove the limit of a function from both the left and right sides. The conversation also explores how this definition is used to find one-sided limits and how it can be manipulated to arrive at a conclusion. One participant provides a step-by-step approach to finding the limit from the left, while the other participant shares their attempt at proving the limit from the right.
NickBE
Hello, I am trying to prove the following...

lim (x+3) [tex]\left|x+5\right|[/tex][tex]/x+5[/tex]
x[tex]\rightarrow-5[/tex]

from the left, L=+2
from the right, L=-2

I used delta-epsilon on the right hand limit and got [tex]\delta[/tex] = [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

However, I'm not sure how to proceed when I get to this step while trying to prove the left hand limit:

[tex]\left|x+1\right|[/tex]< [tex]\epsilon[/tex] if 0<[tex]\left|x+5\right|[/tex]<[tex]\delta[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are approaching from the left then |x+5|/(x+5)=(-1). So your expression f(x) becomes (-1)*(x+3). The quantity you want to prove less than epsilon is |L-f(x)|. I make that to be |2-(-1)(x+3)|=|x+5|.

I think I see where you're going, but I want to make sure I have the right idea with the delta-epsilon definition.

lim f(x)=L
x->a

[tex]\left|f(x)-L\right|[/tex] <[tex]\epsilon[/tex] if 0<[tex]\left|x-a\right|[/tex]< [tex]\delta[/tex]

Is this the same definition that is used to find the one sided limits? If so, how is it manipulated to arrive at the conclusion you provided?

What I was trying to do as I attempted to prove the limit from the right:

[tex]\left|f(x)+2\right|[/tex] < [tex]\epsilon[/tex] if 0<[tex]\left|x+5\right|[/tex] < [tex]\delta[/tex]

Which gave me:

[tex]\left|x+5\right|[/tex] <[tex]\epsilon[/tex] if 0<[tex]\left|x+5\right|[/tex] < [tex]\delta[/tex]

and I called it a day on that one. But when I got to the second one, I tried using the same definition to try to prove the limit. I have a feeling that in the same format, it will give me an incorrect answer...where I am lacking understanding?

1. What is the delta-epsilon limit of a rational function with a jump discontinuity?

The delta-epsilon limit of a rational function with a jump discontinuity is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of the function as the input variable approaches a specific value, known as the point of discontinuity. It is represented by the symbol limx→c f(x), where c is the point of discontinuity and f(x) is the rational function.

2. How is the delta-epsilon limit of a rational function with a jump discontinuity calculated?

The delta-epsilon limit of a rational function with a jump discontinuity is calculated by evaluating the function at values close to the point of discontinuity and observing the trend of the outputs. This can be done by creating a table of values or using a graphing calculator to plot the function. The limit is then determined by taking the average of the outputs as the inputs approach the point of discontinuity.

3. What is the significance of the delta-epsilon limit in mathematics?

The delta-epsilon limit is an important concept in mathematics as it helps us understand the behavior of functions at points of discontinuity. It allows us to determine if a function is continuous or not at a given point, and also helps in solving problems involving limits, derivatives, and integrals of functions with jump discontinuities.

4. Can the delta-epsilon limit of a rational function with a jump discontinuity be undefined?

Yes, the delta-epsilon limit of a rational function with a jump discontinuity can be undefined. This occurs when the outputs of the function do not approach a specific value as the inputs approach the point of discontinuity. In this case, the limit does not exist and the function is said to have a jump discontinuity at that point.

5. How is the delta-epsilon limit of a rational function with a jump discontinuity used in real-life applications?

The delta-epsilon limit of a rational function with a jump discontinuity is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer science. It helps in predicting the behavior of systems with discontinuous functions, such as stock market fluctuations or the motion of a particle. It also plays a crucial role in optimization problems and in the study of differential equations.