Change in Entropy for Isothermal Expansion

In summary: It is wrong. Use the expression I have given you. You can multiply both sides by T since T is constant in the reversible, isothermal process.
ragingbuddha

Homework Statement

Derive change in entropy for Van der Waal gas in isothermal expansion

TdS = ∫(dP/dV)dV + ∫(Cv/T)dT

Homework Equations

P = NRT/(V-bN) + a(N/V)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

TdS = ∫dP + 0 = Pf - Pi

TΔS = ∫dP = ∫(Pf - Pi)

TΔS = [ ∫ (NRT / Vf-bN) - a(N/Vf)^2] - [ ∫ (NRT / Vi-bN) - a (N/Vi)^2]

= [ NRT ln (Vf-bN) + aN^2/Vf ] - [ NRT ln (Vi-bN) + aN^2/Vi ]

= NRT ln (Vf-bN / Vi-bN) + a(N^2/Vf) - a (N^2/Vi)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ragingbuddha said:

Homework Statement

Derive change in entropy for Van der Waal gas in isothermal expansion

TdS = ∫(dP/dV)dV + ∫(Cv/T)dT
Where did you get this? The left side has dimensions of heat flow and the first integral on the right side has dimensions of pressure. Perhaps you meant (using the first law dQ = dU + PdV) :

[tex]\Delta S = \int dS = \int dQ/T = \int (nC_vdT + PdV)/T = n\int C_v\frac{dT}{T} + \int \frac{P}{T}dV[/tex]

Use your expression for P for a Van der Waal gas and see if you can work it out from there.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Where did you get this? The left side has dimensions of heat flow and the first integral on the right side has dimensions of pressure. Perhaps you meant (using the first law dQ = dU + PdV) :

This equation is given by the problem. Frankly, I don't know where that equation comes from either because I cannot derive it from anything I have learned so far.

ragingbuddha said:
This equation is given by the problem. Frankly, I don't know where that equation comes from either because I cannot derive it from anything I have learned so far.
It is wrong. Use the expression I have given you. You can multiply both sides by T since T is constant in the reversible, isothermal process.

AM

= NRT ln [(Vf-bN)(Vi-bN) / (Vf-Vi)(Vi-bN)] + a (N^2/Vf - N^2/Vi)

= NRT ln [(Vf-bN)(Vi-bN) / (Vi-bN)(Vf-Vi)] + a (N^2/Vf - N^2/Vi)

= NRT ln [(Vf-bN) / (Vf-Vi)] + a (N^2/Vf - N^2/Vi)

This is the change in entropy for isothermal expansion of a Van der Waal gas. It takes into account the change in pressure and temperature as well as the attractive and repulsive forces between the gas molecules. It is important to note that the change in entropy depends on the initial and final volumes of the expansion, as well as the initial and final temperatures. This equation can be used to calculate the change in entropy for any isothermal expansion of a Van der Waal gas.

1. What is isothermal expansion?

Isothermal expansion is a process in thermodynamics where a system undergoes a change in volume without any change in temperature. This means that the system's temperature remains constant throughout the process.

2. What is entropy?

Entropy is a thermodynamic property that is a measure of the disorder or randomness within a system. It is often described as a measure of the system's energy that is unavailable for doing work.

3. What causes a change in entropy during isothermal expansion?

A change in entropy during isothermal expansion is caused by the increase in disorder or randomness within the system. As the system expands, the molecules have more space to move around and become more disordered, leading to an increase in entropy.

4. How is the change in entropy calculated for isothermal expansion?

The change in entropy for isothermal expansion can be calculated using the formula ΔS = nRln(Vf/Vi), where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, Vf is the final volume, and Vi is the initial volume.

5. What is the significance of change in entropy for isothermal expansion?

The change in entropy for isothermal expansion is significant because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a system undergoing isothermal expansion. It also plays a crucial role in the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.