Verifying Solution to DEQ: y = e^{3x}cos(2x)

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
In summary: So you can apply the methods of linear algebra to solve the equation.In summary, the given function y = e^{3x}cos(2x) is a solution to the differential equation y'' - 6y' +13y = 0. The operator in the equation is linear, allowing for the application of methods from linear algebra to solve the equation.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

Verify that the indicated function is a solution to the differential equation. Assume an appropriate interval I of definition for each solution.

[tex]y'' - 6y' +13y = 0 [/tex]
[tex]y = e^{3x}cos(2x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I started taking derivatives to see if y was indeed a solution, but that got rather complicated fast for what is some of the first problem sets from day 1 of class. I believe that this is NOT a solution because of the cosine, which would indicate that y(x) is not a linear function clearly. Since the DEQ is linear of the second order, I assume that the solution will be linear as well?

Frankly, I am confused on when to consider a function linear. Does the dependent variable have to be linear, or is it the independent variable that matters? What if I replaced cos(2x) in the above equation with cos(2y).

Is this the correct manner of thinking on this problem? (ie: see cosine, must not be correct)

Physics news on Phys.org
it is the solution to the homogeneous diff equ. Linear means that none of the terms are of some power like squared.

QuarkCharmer said:

Homework Statement

Verify that the indicated function is a solution to the differential equation. Assume an appropriate interval I of definition for each solution.

[tex]y'' - 6y' +13y = 0 [/tex]
[tex]y = e^{3x}cos(2x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I started taking derivatives to see if y was indeed a solution, but that got rather complicated fast for what is some of the first problem sets from day 1 of class.
I think you need to recalibrate your sense of what qualifies as complicated. :wink:

I believe that this is NOT a solution because of the cosine, which would indicate that y(x) is not a linear function clearly. Since the DEQ is linear of the second order, I assume that the solution will be linear as well?
No, that's not correct.

Frankly, I am confused on when to consider a function linear. Does the dependent variable have to be linear, or is it the independent variable that matters? What if I replaced cos(2x) in the above equation with cos(2y).
You're not interested in whether a function is linear here. You want to know if an operator is linear. The equation you have can be written in the form ##\mathcal{L}y = f(x)##, where ##\mathcal{L}## is an operator acting on y. If the operator is linear, it has the properties
\begin{align*}
\mathcal{L}(y_1 + y_2) &= \mathcal{L}y_1 + \mathcal{L}y_2 \\
\mathcal{L}(cy) &= c\mathcal{L}y
\end{align*}and the concepts from linear algebra can be applied to solve the equation.

To determine if the operator ##\mathcal{L}## is linear, you just need to make sure that y and its derivatives, if they appear, are only taken to the first power, which is indeed the case here.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves one or more derivatives of a function. It describes how a function changes over time or in response to certain variables.

2. What is a solution to a differential equation?

A solution to a differential equation is a function that satisfies the equation for a given range of values. It is a function that, when substituted into the equation, results in a true statement.

3. How do you verify a solution to a differential equation?

To verify a solution to a differential equation, you must substitute the function into the equation and simplify both sides. If the resulting statement is true, then the function is a valid solution to the equation.

4. What is the solution to the given differential equation?

The given differential equation is y = e^{3x}cos(2x). The solution to this equation is any function that satisfies the equation, such as y = e^{3x}cos(2x) itself.

5. How can I check if y = e^{3x}cos(2x) is a valid solution to the given equation?

To check if y = e^{3x}cos(2x) is a valid solution, you can substitute it into the equation and simplify both sides. If the resulting statement is true, then it is a valid solution. Additionally, you can also take the derivative of y and see if it matches the original equation.