Plotting a Kurie Plot with a PHA: A Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of end point energy of a beta minus particle using a pulse height analyser and plotting a Kurie plot. The speaker is looking for a way to plot the Kurie plot without involving complex mathematics and is unsure how to do so using a PHA. They suggest using the number of counts per time as a replacement for current.
CF.Gauss
Hi...

I have to measure the end point energy of a beta minus particle being emitted from a Sr-90 radioactive source. Part of this is plotting a Kurie plot. I am using a pulse height analyser (PHA) to get the beta spectrum (which counts how many beta particles are detected N,on the y-axis and has channel on the x-axis.)
Now I am pretty sure there is an easy way( one that doesn't involve any horrible maths) of doing a Kurie plot by using a variable current and plotting the square of that against N/I^2 (i think).
But as I am using a PHA I don't know how to plot a Kurie plot as there's no change in current that i can read!

Any help as to how i should plot this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The current is replaced by the number of counts per time.

1. What is a Kurie plot and why is it important in scientific research?

A Kurie plot is a graph that shows the relationship between the energy of a particle and its number of decay events. It is important because it allows scientists to analyze and understand the decay process of radioactive particles, which is crucial in various fields such as nuclear physics, environmental science, and medical imaging.

2. How do I plot a Kurie plot using a PHA (Pulse Height Analyzer)?

To plot a Kurie plot with a PHA, you will need to collect data on the energy of the particles using the PHA and then plot the energy on the x-axis and the number of decay events on the y-axis. Make sure to use a logarithmic scale for the y-axis to accurately represent the exponential decay process.

3. What are the key components of a Kurie plot and how do they contribute to the analysis?

The key components of a Kurie plot include the energy of the particles, the number of decay events, the logarithmic scale, and the fit line. These components contribute to the analysis by providing a visual representation of the decay process, allowing for the determination of the endpoint energy, and verifying the accuracy of the data.

4. How can I use a Kurie plot to determine the endpoint energy of a decay process?

The endpoint energy of a decay process can be determined by looking at the point where the fit line intersects the x-axis. This is the maximum energy that a particle can have and still decay. It is an important value in determining the properties and characteristics of the radioactive material being studied.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Kurie plot for data analysis?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a Kurie plot for data analysis. One limitation is that it assumes a single decay process, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it may not accurately represent the decay process if there are background events or if the data is not collected over a long enough time period. It is important to consider these limitations when interpreting the results of a Kurie plot.