Matrix Theory (Matrix Inverse test question)

In summary: ZWxvcGVkLCBhbmQgQyBpcyB3aWxsIHdpdGggdGhlIHN0YW5kYXJkIGFscGhhZGVyIHRoYW4gSSB3YXMga2luZGEgc3R1bXBlZC4gV2hhdCBpcyB0aGUgZm9sbG93ZWQgYWxnb3JpdGhtIHdlbmRlcmluZyBvbiB0aGUgaW5kaXZpdHkgbWF0cml4IHRoYW4gSSBkaWQgaXQga
mateomy
I was asked this question on a test I just took and I was kinda stumped. I worked it out but I think I did it incorrectly so I was hoping for some input. Thanks.

'A' is a 3x3 matrix and 'I' is the identity matrix for a 3x3. Find the Inverse of 'A' given:

[tex]
(\mathbf{A}\,+\,\mathbf{I})^{2}\,=\,\mathbf{0}
[/tex]

Where '0' is the zero matrix.

So what I did (probably ignorantly) was treat it like any standard algebraic equation; took the radical of both sides, and subtracted the Identity from each side. So I had the zero matrix minus the standard identity 3x3. So I ended up getting a negative identity matrix on the right hand side. So I can see that 'A' equals the negative of an identity matrix. So to find the identity of that I put my 'A' next to and identity to solve in the standard fashion, for the identity of A. Which just happened to be, again, a negative of a 3x3 identity matrix.

Sorry I didn't feel like Latex'ing out all the matrix work but I think it can be followed by what I wrote.

Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
mateomy said:
I was asked this question on a test I just took and I was kinda stumped. I worked it out but I think I did it incorrectly so I was hoping for some input. Thanks.

'A' is a 3x3 matrix and 'I' is the identity matrix for a 3x3. Find the Inverse of 'A' given:

[tex]
(\mathbf{A}\,+\,\mathbf{I})^{2}\,=\,\mathbf{0}
[/tex]

Where '0' is the zero matrix.

So what I did (probably ignorantly) was treat it like any standard algebraic equation; took the radical of both sides, and subtracted the Identity from each side. So I had the zero matrix minus the standard identity 3x3. So I ended up getting a negative identity matrix on the right hand side. So I can see that 'A' equals the negative of an identity matrix. So to find the identity of that I put my 'A' next to and identity to solve in the standard fashion, for the identity of A. Which just happened to be, again, a negative of a 3x3 identity matrix.

Sorry I didn't feel like Latex'ing out all the matrix work but I think it can be followed by what I wrote.

Thanks again.

If B is a matrix and [itex] B^2 = 0,[/itex] that does NOT imply that B must be zero; matrices do not behave like real numbers in all respects. However, you _can_ use standard algebra to expand [itex](A+I)^2[/itex], because the matrices A and I commute under multiplication (that is, AI = IA), and you _can_ use AB+AC = A(B+C), etc.

RGV

Related to Matrix Theory (Matrix Inverse test question)

1. What is a matrix inverse?

A matrix inverse is a mathematical operation that, when applied to a square matrix, results in a new matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, gives the identity matrix as the product. In simple terms, it is similar to finding the reciprocal of a number in regular arithmetic.

2. Why is matrix inverse important in matrix theory?

Matrix inverse is important in matrix theory because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations, find the determinant of a matrix, and perform other important operations. It also has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix can be found by using various methods such as Gaussian elimination, Cramer's rule, or using a calculator or software. The most common method is Gaussian elimination, which involves transforming the original matrix into an identity matrix through a series of elementary row operations.

4. Can every matrix have an inverse?

No, not every matrix has an inverse. A matrix must be square (same number of rows and columns) and have a non-zero determinant to have an inverse. If the determinant is zero, the matrix is said to be singular and does not have an inverse.

5. What is the significance of the determinant in finding the matrix inverse?

The determinant is a key factor in finding the matrix inverse. It is used to determine if a matrix has an inverse and is also used in the process of finding the inverse. The value of the determinant also provides information about the properties of the original matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular.