Find the wave function of a Gaussian wave packet

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance for solving part b of a problem and has found some incorrect formulas from a textbook. After some discussion, it is determined that the provided solution is correct, but the variables used should be renamed for clarity. The individual is also reminded to use different variables for the Fourier transform in order to avoid confusion.
serverxeon
fxxo3d.png

In particular, i am solving part b.
I pulled off a couple of formulas from a textbook, but I'm quite sure they are incorrect to apply here.
Can anyone guide me?

Below is my attempt.

2rypn9k.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure that you are fine up to the line
[tex]\psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{\sigma}}{\pi^{1/4}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-i\hbar tk^2/2m+ixk} dk [/tex]
But then after that you apply the 'general form' of the Gaussian integral. But this 'general form' is only true when alpha, beta and gamma are real numbers. But in this case, they are imaginary numbers (well, gamma is zero, but the others are imaginary).

huh, hold on. that 'general form' should work for imaginary numbers too. So I would agree with your answer. (except in the last line I think you have not written the square root around all the things that you are meant to put it around). The answer seems really strange though. I would not expect that at all...

I would be very surprised if the k in your initial wavefunction is related to momentum. How would you interpret this? I think it is some fixed constant, which changes every calculation afterwards.

yep, that's where the problem is, I think. You should define the Fourier transform as something like ##\phi(k')## i.e. use a different variable to the ##k## that is in the equation for ##\psi(x,t)##. Since you generally want ##k## and ##k'## to be two different variables.

edit: or you can just re-name the ##k## in the equation for ##\psi(x,t)## as some other letter, ##\kappa## (kappa) for example. And then use ##\phi(k)## as your Fourier transform. This will save you from having to write out the prime a lot of times, which can be annoying. But go with whichever way you prefer. Main thing to remember is that they are different variables. I'm guessing you know this, but just forgot (as I did to begin with).

Last edited:

1. What is a Gaussian wave packet?

A Gaussian wave packet is a type of wave function that describes a particle or wave in quantum mechanics. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve, with a peak at the center and a gradual decrease in amplitude towards the edges.

2. How is the wave function of a Gaussian wave packet determined?

The wave function of a Gaussian wave packet can be found by using the Gaussian wave function formula, which includes parameters such as the peak position, width, and momentum of the wave packet. These parameters can be determined experimentally or through mathematical calculations.

3. What is the significance of the Gaussian wave packet in quantum mechanics?

The Gaussian wave packet is an important tool in quantum mechanics as it allows for the description of a particle or wave in both position and momentum space. It also provides a mathematical representation of the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know a particle's position, the less we know about its momentum.

4. How does the wave function of a Gaussian wave packet change over time?

The wave function of a Gaussian wave packet will spread out over time, becoming wider and flatter. This is due to the uncertainty principle, as the more precise we know a particle's position at a certain time, the less precise we know its momentum. Therefore, the wave function will evolve over time to reflect this uncertainty.

5. Can a Gaussian wave packet be used to describe any type of wave or particle?

No, a Gaussian wave packet is specifically used in quantum mechanics to describe particles or waves on a quantum scale. It cannot be used to describe macroscopic objects or classical waves, as these follow different physical laws and principles.