A wave packet and a Delta potential

In summary, to plot a wave packet entering a delta potential in Mathematica, it may be helpful to use the Fourier transform of a Gaussian wave packet, ensure correct wave vectors are used for each region, and consider using dimensionless variables for easier computation.
Poirot

Homework Statement

I want to plot using Mathematica a wave packet entering a delta potential ##V(x) = s\delta(x) ## (s is the strength) but I need to get the physics right first and I'm having trouble with a a few parts. I need to compute the integral ## \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-i\omega t}\phi_{\omega} f(\omega) d\omega ## to get the linear superpositions and get the wave packet but Mathematica can't handle it and I can't compute it by hand.
I'm taking ## f(\omega) = e^{-\omega^2/\alpha^2}## (I assume to make this a gaussian wave packet).

Homework Equations

##\phi_{\omega} (x) = e^{ikx} + R_{\omega}e^{-ikx}, x<0 \\
\phi_{\omega}(x) =T_{\omega}e^{ikx}, x>0 \\
k^2 = 2mE/\hbar \\
\omega = E/\hbar ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the Reflection and Transmission coefficients:
## R_{\omega} = \frac{1}{\frac{\hbar^2ik}{sm}-1} \\
T_{\omega} = \frac{1}{1-\frac{sm}{\hbar^2ik}} ##
from the continuity conditions and also from integrating the Schrodinger equation.

From what I understand I think I then need to compute the integral as stated above and plot this against time, but I can't get Mathematica to solve it and I was told it could be computed exactly so I must be messing something up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you are on the right track with your approach to solving this problem. However, there are a few things that you may want to consider in order to get the correct physics and make your computation easier.

First, when computing the integral for the linear superposition, you may want to use the Fourier transform of your Gaussian wave packet instead of directly integrating. The Fourier transform of a Gaussian function is also a Gaussian, which may make your computation easier and more manageable for Mathematica.

Secondly, when using the reflection and transmission coefficients, make sure you are using the correct wave vector k for each region. In your equations, you have used k for both regions, but they should be different as they correspond to different energies. This may be causing issues with your computation.

Lastly, it may be helpful to use dimensionless variables in your computation, such as scaled position and momentum, to make the equations simpler and more manageable. This can also help with numerical stability in your calculations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your plot! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is a wave packet?

A wave packet is a localized and coherent group of waves that travel together and exhibit a distinct shape and size. It is a mathematical representation of a physical phenomenon, such as light or sound, that consists of a superposition of different waves with different frequencies and amplitudes.

2. How is a wave packet formed?

A wave packet is formed when different waves with different frequencies and amplitudes are added together, resulting in constructive and destructive interference. This creates a localized and coherent group of waves that travel together and exhibit a distinct shape and size.

3. What is a Delta potential?

A Delta potential, also known as a Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that has a value of zero everywhere except for one point, where it has an infinitely large value. It is often used in quantum mechanics to represent a point particle or an infinitely narrow potential well.

4. How does a Delta potential affect a wave packet?

A Delta potential acts as a potential barrier or well that can either reflect or confine a wave packet. When a wave packet encounters a Delta potential, it can undergo partial or complete reflection, or it can be confined within the potential well, depending on the energy of the wave packet and the strength of the potential.

5. What are the applications of studying wave packets and Delta potentials?

The study of wave packets and Delta potentials has many applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. It helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level and how they interact with potential barriers and wells. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as quantum computing, quantum teleportation, and quantum cryptography.