Proving the Commutator Relationship with Power Series Expansion | Homework Help

In summary, we can use the commutator identity [A, BC] = [A, B]C + B[A, C] to expand [x, f(p)] into [x, \sum_{n}f_{n}p^{n}] = \sum_{n}f_{n}[x, p^{n}] + [x, \sum_{n-1}f_{n}p^{n}]. Using [x, p^{n}] = i\hbarnp^{n-1}, we can further simplify to \sum_{n}f_{n}i\hbarnp^{n-1} + [x, \sum_{n-1}f_{n}p^{
cahill8

Homework Statement

Show [tex]\left[x,f(p)[/tex][tex]\right)][/tex] = [tex]i\hbar\frac{d}{dp}(f(p))\right.[/tex]

Homework Equations

I can use [tex]\left[x,p^{n}[/tex][tex]\right)][/tex] = [tex]i\hbar\\n\right.[/tex][tex]p^{n}\right.[/tex]
f(p) = [tex]\Sigma[/tex] [tex]f_{n}[/tex][tex]p^{n}[/tex] (power series expansion)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by expanding f(p) to the power series which makes

[tex]\left[x,\Sigma\\f_{n}\\p^{n}[/tex][tex]\right)][/tex]

and I know I must use the commutator identity [A, BC] = [A,B]C + B[A,C]
but the power series cannot be split up into two products(BC) ? So I'm not sure how to go on

Physics news on Phys.org
cahill8 said:
and I know I must use the commutator identity [A, BC] = [A,B]C + B[A,C]
How do you know that?

In a textbook it says it can be shown using that equation

Trying a different method:

[x, f(p)] = [x,[tex]\sum_{n}\\f_{n}p^{n}[/tex]] = [x,fnpn + [tex]\sum_{n-1}\\f_{n}p^{n}[/tex]]

using [A, B+C] = [A,B] + [A,C]

= [x, fnpn] + [x, [tex]\sum_{n-1}\\f_{n}p^{n}[/tex]]

using [A, BC] = C[A,B] + B[A,C]

= fn[x, pn] + pn[x, fn] + [x, [tex]\sum_{n-1}\\f_{n}p^{n}[/tex]]

using [x, pn] = i[tex]\hbar[/tex]npn-1

= fni[tex]\hbar[/tex]npn-1 + pn[x, fn] + [x, [tex]\sum_{n-1}\\f_{n}p^{n}[/tex]]

[x, fn] = 0 as fn is a const.

= fni[tex]\hbar[/tex]npn-1 + [x, [tex]\sum_{n-1}\\f_{n}p^{n}[/tex]]

am I on the right track?

Last edited:
I'm curious why you used
[A, rC] = [A,r]C + r[A,C]​
to pull out a scalar, rather than just using
[A, rC] = r [A,C]​

I'm also curious why you stopped using
[A, B + C] = [A,B] + [A,C]​
after a single addition.

But that aside, everything you wrote looks correct. We won't know if you're on the right track until we see where this path leads, though!

I see what you mean. [x, fnpn] = fn[x, pn] is fine.

I kept going with the addition and noticed a pattern and managed to solve it. Thanks for the hints :)

What is the commutator relationship?

The commutator relationship is a mathematical relationship that describes the non-commutativity of operators. It states that the order in which two operators are applied affects the final result, and it is represented by the commutator operator [A,B] = AB - BA.

How is the commutator relationship proven with power series expansion?

The commutator relationship can be proven using the power series expansion method, which involves expanding both operators A and B into infinite series and then rearranging the terms to obtain the commutator relationship. This method is commonly used in quantum mechanics to prove the non-commutativity of operators.

What are the benefits of proving the commutator relationship with power series expansion?

One of the main benefits of using the power series expansion method to prove the commutator relationship is its simplicity. It provides a straightforward and systematic approach to proving the relationship, making it easier for scientists to understand and apply. Additionally, this method allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and can be applied to a wide range of operators.

What are some real-life applications of the commutator relationship?

The commutator relationship has numerous applications in science and engineering, particularly in quantum mechanics. It is used to describe the behavior of fundamental particles, such as electrons, and is also crucial in understanding the properties of atoms and molecules. In addition, the commutator relationship is used in fields such as signal processing, control systems, and robotics.

Are there any limitations to proving the commutator relationship with power series expansion?

While the power series expansion method is a commonly used and reliable method for proving the commutator relationship, there are some limitations to consider. It may not be applicable to all operators, and the infinite series can be challenging to work with in some cases. Additionally, this method may not provide a complete understanding of the underlying physical principles, and alternative methods may be needed for a more comprehensive analysis.