Commutator in the Darwin Term

In summary, the conversation was about filling in the steps between equations in the derivation of the coordinate representation of the Darwin term of the Dirac Hamiltonian in the Hydrogen Fine Structure section in Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics. The chain rule for commutators of product and the identity for commutators were mentioned, and the confusion with the notation was clarified. The final solution to the problem was also provided.
Sigma057

Homework Statement

I am trying to fill in the steps between equations in the derivation of the coordinate representation of the Darwin term of the Dirac Hamiltonian in the Hydrogen Fine Structure section in Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics.

$$
H_D=\frac{1}{8 m^2 c^2}\left(-2\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]+\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]\right)

=-\frac{1}{8 m^2 c^2}\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]
$$

Homework Equations

What Shankar calls the "chain rule for commutators of product" I think he means
$$[\text{AB},C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B$$.

On the same page he mentions the identity
$$
\left[p_x,f (x)\right]=\text{-i$\hbar $}\frac{df}{dx}
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

One way this equality could be satisfied is if
$$\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]=\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]$$

In component form this means
$$
\left[P_x^2+P_y^2+P_z^2,V\right]=\left(\overset{\wedge }{x}P_x+\overset{\wedge }{y}P_y+\overset{\wedge }{z}P_z\right)\cdot \left[\overset{\wedge }{x}P_x+\overset{\wedge }{y}P_y+\overset{\wedge }{z}P_z,V\right]
$$
$$
=\left(\overset{\wedge }{x}P_x+\overset{\wedge }{y}P_y+\overset{\wedge }{z}P_z\right)\cdot \left(\overset{\wedge }{x}\left[P_x,V\right]+\overset{\wedge }{y}\left[P_y,V\right]+\overset{\wedge }{z}\left[P_z,V\right]\right)
$$

Or
$$
\left[P_x^2,V\right]+\left[P_y^2,V\right]+\left[P_z^2,V\right]=P_x\left[P_x,V\right]+P_y\left[P_y,V\right]+P_z\left[P_z,V\right]
$$

One way this equality could be satisfied is if
$$
\left[P_i^2,V\right]=P_i\left[P_i,V\right]
$$

WLOG let's compute ##\left[P_x^2,V\right]## in the coordinate basis acting on a test function ##\phi(x)##

$$
\left[p_x^2,V\right]\phi =\left(p_x\left[p_x,V\right]+\left[p_x,V\right]p_x\right)\phi =p_x\left[p_x,V\right]\phi +\left[p_x,V\right]p_x\phi
$$

$$
=\text{-i$\hbar $}\frac{d}{dx}(\text{-i$\hbar $}\frac{dV}{dx})\phi+\text{-i$\hbar $}\frac{dV}{dx}(\text{-i$\hbar $}\frac{d}{dx})\phi

=

\text{-$\hbar ^2$}\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{dV}{dx}\phi)\text{-$\hbar ^2$}\frac{dV}{dx}\frac{d\phi}{dx}
$$

$$
=
\text{-$\hbar ^2$}(\frac{d^2V}{dx^2}\phi+\frac{dV}{dx}\frac{d\phi}{dx})

\text{-$\hbar^2$}\frac{dV}{dx}\frac{d\phi}{dx}

=\text{-$\hbar^2$}\frac{d^2V}{dx^2}\phi-2\text{$\hbar^2$}\frac{dV}{dx}\frac{d\phi}{dx}

$$

In comparison

$$

p_x\left[p_x,V\right]\phi = (\text{-i$\hbar$}\frac{d}{dx})(\text{-i$\hbar$}\frac{dV}{dx})\phi

=

\text{-$\hbar^2$}\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{dV}{dx}\phi)

=\text{-$\hbar^2$}(\frac{d^2V}{dx^2}\phi+\frac{dV}{dx}\frac{d\phi}{dx})

=\text{-$\hbar^2$}\frac{d^2V}{dx^2}\phi\text{-$\hbar^2$}\frac{dV}{dx}\frac{d\phi}{dx}

$$
I can't figure out where I've gone wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sigma057 said:
$$
H_D=\frac{1}{8 m^2 c^2}\left(-2\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]+\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]\right)

=-\frac{1}{8 m^2 c^2}\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]
$$
The notation is a bit confusing in the text. On the right side of the above equation, the text actually writes
$$
-\frac{1}{8 m^2 c^2}\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right] \right]
$$
I think this is to be interpreted as a double commutator.
$$
\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right] \right]

= \overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right] - \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right] \cdot \overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}
$$

The text reads
upload_2017-6-25_17-41-16.png

They should probably have included another comma in the double commutator
$$
\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot , \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right] \right]
$$

TSny said:
The notation is a bit confusing in the text. On the right side of the above equation, the text actually writes
$$
-\frac{1}{8 m^2 c^2}\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right] \right]
$$
I think this is to be interpreted as a double commutator.
$$
\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right] \right]

= \overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right] - \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right] \cdot \overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}
$$

The text reads
View attachment 206055

They should probably have included another comma in the double commutator
$$
\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot , \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right] \right]
$$

Thank you so much for your reply! Without it I would have probably skipped to the next equality and missed a valuable learning opportunity. I'll post my solution to the problem to assist future readers.

With your clarification I'll rewrite the problem statement as

$$

=-\frac{1}{8 m^2 c^2}\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]\right]
$$

Using the convention
$$
\overset{\rightharpoonup }{A} \overset{\rightharpoonup }{B}\equiv \overset{\rightharpoonup }{A}\cdot \overset{\rightharpoonup }{B}
$$

I will also make use of the chain rule for commutators of vector operator products, which follows easily from the chain rule for scalar operator products as a consequence of the definition of the dot product and the linearity of the commutator.

$$
\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{A}\cdot \overset{\rightharpoonup }{B},C\right]=\overset{\rightharpoonup }{A}\cdot \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{B},C\right]+\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{A},C\right]\cdot \overset{\rightharpoonup }{B}
$$

I can now finally fill in the steps between these equations.
$$
H_D=\frac{1}{8 m^2 c^2}\left(-2\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]+\left(\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]+\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]\cdot \overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\right)\right)

=\frac{1}{8 m^2 c^2}\left(-\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]+\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]\cdot \overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\right)=-\frac{1}{8 m^2 c^2}\left(\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\cdot \left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]-\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]\cdot \overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}\right)=-\frac{1}{8 m^2 c^2}\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},\left[\overset{\rightharpoonup }{P},V\right]\right]
$$

Thanks for all your help!

Looks good.

1. What is a commutator in the Darwin term?

A commutator in the Darwin term refers to the mathematical operator used in the Darwin term of the Dirac equation to account for the effects of electron spin on the energy levels of an atom. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (σ) and is expressed as σ•p, where p is the momentum operator.

2. How does the commutator in the Darwin term affect electron energy levels?

The commutator in the Darwin term introduces an additional term in the Dirac equation, which takes into account the spin-orbit interaction between the electron's spin and its orbital motion. This affects the energy levels of an atom, resulting in fine structure in spectral lines.

3. Can the commutator in the Darwin term be derived from first principles?

Yes, the commutator in the Darwin term can be derived from first principles using the Dirac equation and the Pauli spin matrices. It is a fundamental mathematical operator that helps to accurately describe the behavior of electrons in atoms.

4. Is the commutator in the Darwin term used in any other areas of physics?

Yes, the commutator in the Darwin term is also used in other areas of physics, such as quantum field theory and particle physics. It is a crucial component in the development of quantum mechanical models and calculations.

5. Why is the commutator in the Darwin term important in quantum mechanics?

The commutator in the Darwin term is important in quantum mechanics because it allows for the accurate calculation of electron energy levels and spectral lines in atoms. It also plays a role in the understanding of electron spin and its effects on other quantum mechanical systems.