What is the height of the aeroplane at the moment the package was released?

• Thread starter brandon26
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the height of the aeroplane above the ground at the moment the package was released can be found by using the equation s=ut+0.5at^2 and the given values of initial velocity in the x-direction as 400cos2 and in the y-direction as 400sin2. Using these values, the height is calculated to be 2700 meters. However, the mistake in the previous calculation was that the x and y directions were mixed up, and the correct values for the velocities are 400cos2 and 400sin88. This is because the plane is climbing at an angle of 2 degrees from the horizontal, where cos is used for the x-direction and sin is used for the y
brandon26
An aeroplane is climbing at an angle of 2 degrees while maintaining a speed of 400ms^-1. A package is released and travels a horizontal distance of 2500m before hitting the ground. The initial velocity of the package is the same as the initial velocity as the plane, find the height of the aeroplane above the ground at the moment the package was released.

I did some calculations but my answer is apparently wrong.

Considering motion in the vertical plane.
a= 9.8
s=?
u=400sin88
t=?

To find t i used the horizontal plane and got 6.25 sec.

therefore s = ut + 05.at^2
(400sin88 x 6.25) + 0.5x9,8x6.25^2
=2700M

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've mixed the x and y directions.
[tex]u_y \ne 400 \sin 88^o[/tex]

Päällikkö said:
You've mixed the x and y directions.
[tex]u_y \ne 400 \sin 88^o[/tex]

Can you explain please? I thought the x direction was 400cos2 and y direction was 400sin88?

"climbing at an angle of 2 degrees" means 2 degrees from the horizontal.
Draw a diagram, and you'll see that cos is used for the x-direction.

sin gets its maximum at 90 degrees while cos reaches it at 0. ~400 m/s vertically and ~0m/s horizontally is a steep climb for an aeroplane.
Oh, and cos 2o = sin 88o

Yes, so the x direction is 400cos2, and y direction is 400sin88?

No.
That would mean vx = vy, which is certainly not the case here. That'd mean the elevation was 45 degrees.

For simplicity, use the same angle to express the velocities.

Oh right!. So Vx=400cos2 and Vy=400cos88.

Correct, although I would've used 400cos2 and 400sin2.

Yes, that true.

1. What is the formula for calculating aeroplane velocity?

The formula for calculating aeroplane velocity is velocity = distance / time. This is known as the basic velocity equation.

2. How does air resistance affect aeroplane velocity?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect aeroplane velocity. As an aeroplane moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion. This force slows down the aeroplane and decreases its velocity.

3. How does altitude affect aeroplane velocity?

Altitude can affect aeroplane velocity in several ways. At higher altitudes, the air is thinner and has less drag, allowing for a higher velocity. Additionally, at higher altitudes, aeroplanes can also take advantage of the jet stream, a high-speed wind that can increase their velocity.

4. What factors can impact aeroplane velocity?

There are several factors that can impact aeroplane velocity, including air resistance, altitude, weight of the aircraft, and wind speed and direction. Changes in any of these factors can affect the overall velocity of an aeroplane.

5. How is aeroplane velocity measured and monitored?

Aeroplane velocity can be measured and monitored through various instruments on the aircraft, such as airspeed indicators and GPS systems. Additionally, pilots can also calculate velocity using the basic velocity equation, taking into account factors such as wind speed and direction.