Orbit around the Galactic Center

In summary, the Galactic Center of the Milky Way is about 25,900 light years away from the solar system and has a mass of 4.31E6*(Mass of the Sun). The orbit of the Sun around the galactic center is not a Keplerian path due to the galaxy's large total mass.
Philosophaie
The Galactic Center of the Milky Way is about 25,900 light years away from the solar system. Its mass is 4.31E6*(Mass of the Sun). What I would like to know is what is the elliptical, circular, or etc orbit around the singularity especially the vector v and vector r. And if there is one, the reference frame that is commonly used for this singularity?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You're talking about the orbit the Sun makes around the galactic center or the orbits of the stars near the center which orbit the supermassive black hole?

I would like the orbit the Sun makes around the galactic center of the Milky Way Galaxy! All I need is just two vectors: the velocity of the Sun in the reference frame of the singularity and the radius of the Sun to the singularity in the reference frame of the singularity.

Last edited:
Oh, the alignment between earth, sun and the galactic center is so exciting . . . what a bunch of crap. If the cubs win the world series in 2012, i might worry.

Philosophaie said:
I would like the orbit the Sun makes around the galactic center of the Milky Way Galaxy! All I need is just two vectors: the velocity of the Sun in the reference frame of the singularity and the radius of the Sun to the singularity in the reference frame of the singularity.
The solar system does not follow a Keplerian path (i.e., conic section) about the galaxy. Keplerian orbits arise in system comprising a single large central mass with all other objects having inconsequential mass. While the galaxy does have a large central mass, the mass of that singularity (~4.1 million solar masses) is but a small fraction of the total mass of the galaxy (~580 billion solar masses).

1. What is the Galactic Center?

The Galactic Center is the rotational center of our Milky Way galaxy. It is located approximately 26,000 light years away from Earth and is a supermassive black hole with a mass of about 4 million times that of our sun.

2. What is the orbit around the Galactic Center?

The orbit around the Galactic Center refers to the path that objects, such as stars and planets, take as they revolve around the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy.

3. How long does it take for the Earth to complete one orbit around the Galactic Center?

It takes the Earth approximately 225-250 million years to complete one orbit around the Galactic Center. This is known as a galactic year or cosmic year.

4. How do scientists study the orbit around the Galactic Center?

Scientists study the orbit around the Galactic Center through various methods, such as observing the movements of stars and gas clouds, measuring the gravitational effects on surrounding objects, and using computer simulations to model the orbit.

5. What can we learn from studying the orbit around the Galactic Center?

Studying the orbit around the Galactic Center can help us better understand the structure and evolution of our galaxy. It can also provide insight into the behavior of supermassive black holes and the effects of their gravitational pull on surrounding objects.