Car deceleration with object attached to roof

In summary, the problem involves a car weighing 5000lbs traveling at 160km/hr with a payload of 45 kg on the roof hitting a wall and stopping after crumpling 3 ft. The minimum strength of the bond to hold the payload on the car can be determined by calculating the acceleration of the car using kinematic equations and then using Newton's Second Law to find the net force acting on the payload. The weight of the car and payload should be converted to SI units and the distance should be converted from feet to meters.
The Beez

Homework Statement

A friend of mine gave me this problem to solve and I have no idea where to begin:
A car weighing 5000lbs traveling at 160km/hr with a payload of 45 kg on the roof hits a wall and stops after crumpling 3 ft. What is the minimum strength of the bond to hold the payload on the car.

Homework Equations

I have no idea - I converted the weight of the car to 2268 kg but I don't know what use that information is in the broader equation.

I think I can use s=vt-(1/2)at^2 and s=ut-(1/2)at^2 to figure out the time it takes for the car to come to a stop and then use the same equation to determine the acceleration of payload - i.e. I think I have to figure out the deceleration of the car and then use that as the acceleration on the payload.

Again, I'm not sure what to do with the weight of the payload. I figure I can find out the downward force in Newton meters (441.3) but don't know how to figure out the shear stress applied to the objects to determine the minimum strength of the bond.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Beez said:

Homework Statement

A friend of mine gave me this problem to solve and I have no idea where to begin:
A car weighing 5000lbs traveling at 160km/hr with a payload of 45 kg on the roof hits a wall and stops after crumpling 3 ft. What is the minimum strength of the bond to hold the payload on the car.

Homework Equations

I have no idea - I converted the weight of the car to 2268 kg but I don't know what use that information is in the broader equation.

I think I can use s=vt-(1/2)at^2 and s=ut-(1/2)at^2 to figure out the time it takes for the car to come to a stop and then use the same equation to determine the acceleration of payload - i.e. I think I have to figure out the deceleration of the car and then use that as the acceleration on the payload.

Again, I'm not sure what to do with the weight of the payload. I figure I can find out the downward force in Newton meters (441.3) but don't know how to figure out the shear stress applied to the objects to determine the minimum strength of the bond.
Don't forget also to convert the 3 feet to meters. You can calculate the acceleration directly from one of the kinematic equations; then you are correct that the acceleration of the payload must be the same as the acceleration of the car. So use Newton 2 on the payload: the bond strength is just the net force acting on the payload, in the horizontal direction. You don't have to get into the shear stress on the bond.

1. What is car deceleration with an object attached to the roof?

Car deceleration with an object attached to the roof refers to the decrease in speed or velocity of a car when there is an object attached to the roof, such as a roof rack or cargo carrier.

2. How does an object attached to the roof affect car deceleration?

The object attached to the roof creates added weight and drag on the car, causing it to slow down more quickly when braking and decreasing its overall acceleration.

3. What factors can affect car deceleration with an object attached to the roof?

The weight and shape of the object, as well as the speed and braking force of the car, are all factors that can affect the deceleration of a car with an object attached to the roof.

4. Is there a difference in deceleration between different types of objects attached to the roof?

Yes, the type of object attached to the roof can greatly impact the car's deceleration. For example, a roof rack with a low profile may have less of an impact than a cargo carrier with a bulkier shape.

5. How can I calculate the deceleration of my car with an object attached to the roof?

To calculate the deceleration, you can use the equation F = ma, where F is the force of the braking, m is the mass of the car and attached object, and a is the resulting deceleration. You can also use specialized tools and equipment to measure the deceleration in real-life scenarios.