Simple Harmonic(Quantum) Oscillator

• Thread starter Hyperreality
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillator
In summary, using the normalization condition, it can be shown that the constant A has the value of (\frac{m\omega_0}{\hbar\pi})^{1/4}. This is found by setting the probability of finding the particle in the interval of -A to +A to be 1, and then solving the integral over the entire region of -\infty to +\infty. This requires a change of variables to get the correct answer.
Hyperreality
Using the normalization condition, show that the constant [tex]A[/tex] has the value [tex](\frac{m\omega_0}{\hbar\pi})^{1/4}[/tex].

I know from text the textbook that

[tex]\psi(x)=Ae^{-ax^2}[/tex]

where [tex]A[/tex] is the amplitdue and [tex]a=\frac{\sqrt{km}}{2\hbar}[/tex]

Here is my working:

Because the motion of the particle is confined to -A to +A, so the probability of finding the particle in the interval of -A to +A must be 1. Therefore the normalization condition is

[tex]\int_{-A}^{A}|\psi(x)^2| dx = 1[/tex]
[tex]A^2\int_{-A}^{A} e^{-2ax^2} dx = 1 [/tex]

Here's where I'm stuck, this equation cannot be solved via integration techniques, it can only be solved using by numerical methods. I only know the "trapezium rule" and the "Simpson's Rule", I tried both of methods but nothing came up. Does this problem require some other numerical methods or is my normalization condition incorrect?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Normalization is over the entire region, i.e. [tex] -\infty [/tex] to [tex] +\infty [/tex], the integral is then solved very easily.

[tex]A^2\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2ax^2} dx = 1 [/tex] for [tex] a = 1 [/tex] do a change of variables to get the correct answer, hence the normalization factor.

Have you stated the problem correctly? It appears your limits of integration are the same as the amplitude which doesn't make sense because they have different units.

What is a Simple Harmonic Oscillator?

A Simple Harmonic Oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This type of oscillator follows the mathematical model of a simple harmonic motion, which is a sinusoidal function.

What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Oscillator?

The equation for a Simple Harmonic Oscillator is given by F = -kx, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium. This equation represents Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the amount it is stretched or compressed.

What is the energy of a Simple Harmonic Oscillator?

The total energy of a Simple Harmonic Oscillator is the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy. The kinetic energy is given by KE = 0.5 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. The potential energy is given by PE = 0.5 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from equilibrium. Therefore, the total energy of a Simple Harmonic Oscillator is E = KE + PE.

What is the period of a Simple Harmonic Oscillator?

The period of a Simple Harmonic Oscillator is the time it takes for one complete cycle of oscillation. It is given by T = 2π * sqrt(m/k), where m is the mass of the object and k is the spring constant. This means that the period is independent of the amplitude of the oscillation.

How does the Simple Harmonic Oscillator relate to Quantum Mechanics?

In Quantum Mechanics, the Simple Harmonic Oscillator is used to model the behavior of quantum particles in a potential well. The potential well represents the forces acting on the particle, and the oscillation represents the particle's energy levels. The solutions to the Schrödinger equation for the Simple Harmonic Oscillator give the probability distribution of the particle's position and momentum, which can be used to determine its behavior.