Volume created by the revolution of a polar function around the initial line

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using cone shells to find the volume created by the rotation of a polar equation around the initial line. This involves adding the surface area of cones multiplied by the angle of rotation. However, it is later mentioned that this method may not work and a different approach is needed. The conversation also mentions a website that provides information on the surface area of cones. The integral for calculating the volume is given, but it is noted that it does not give the correct volume for a circle with r=1. The conversation ends with a request for help with the derivation and a thank you for any assistance offered.
progressive
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with deriving the volume created by the rotation of a polar equation around the initial line.

So, I thought about adding the surface area of cones (multiplied by [tex]d\theta[/tex]) if each cone the triangle created with s-length of [tex]f(\theta)[/tex] and r-length of [tex]f(\theta)sin(\theta)[/tex].

Basically, this was entirely premised that cone shells could work exactly like cylindrical shells when trying to find volume - but I don't think it works.

The formula for the surface area of a cone (not including the circle at the bottom) is [tex]\pi*r*s[/tex].

http://math.about.com/od/formulas/ss/surfaceareavol_2.htm" is a site that has info on r and s.

So if I wanted to rotate the circle r=1 around the initial line but only from [tex]0<\theta<{\pi}[/tex], then the integral summing the cone surface areas could be expressed by:

[tex]
\int_0^\pi \pi*r*s*d\theta =
\int_0^\pi \pi f(\theta)*f(\theta)*sin(\theta) d\theta =
\int_0^\pi \pi f(\theta)^2 sin (\theta) d\theta
[/tex]

I spent a lot of time on this problem, including looking at spherical sectors - circular sectors are needed to calculate the *area* of a polar graph.If anyone could help me with this derivation, it would help me significantly. Thanks so much for your help and time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello again,

I forget to say that the integral I mention above does not calculate the correct volume e.g. for a circle r=1. It gives a volume of 2pi, when it should be 4/3 pi.

Thanks again for any help you can offer!

Related to Volume created by the revolution of a polar function around the initial line

What is the definition of "Volume created by the revolution of a polar function around the initial line"?

The volume created by the revolution of a polar function around the initial line is the three-dimensional space enclosed by the curve generated when a polar function is rotated around the initial line, which is typically the polar axis.

How is the volume calculated for a polar function?

The volume can be calculated using the formula V = ∫(π * [f(θ)]^2) dθ, where f(θ) is the polar function and θ represents the angle of rotation.

What are some common polar functions used to generate volumes?

Some common polar functions used to generate volumes include circles (r = a), cardioids (r = a(1 + cosθ)), and limaçons (r = a + bcosθ).

What is the relationship between the shape of the polar function and the resulting volume?

The shape of the polar function directly affects the resulting volume. For example, a function that produces a larger area closer to the initial line will result in a larger volume when rotated, while a function with a smaller area will result in a smaller volume.

How is the volume affected by changes in the polar function or the angle of rotation?

As the polar function or angle of rotation is altered, the resulting volume will also change. For example, increasing the amplitude of the polar function or the angle of rotation will result in a larger volume, while decreasing them will result in a smaller volume.