Current through p-type silicon

In summary: Using these values, we can calculate the electron and hole currents in the external circuit, as well as the total current, which is 1mA.
hogrampage

Homework Statement

A 1-cm cube of p-type silicon (ρ = 0.1Ω-cm) acquires a linear electron distribution in the x-direction, such that n = 1014/cm3 at one side and n = 105/cm3 at the opposite side.

Wires are attached to the sides of the cube via ohmic contacts, and a 0.1mV voltage source is applied. Find the values of the electron, hole, and total currents that flow in the external circuit.

Homework Equations

ρ = R[itex]\frac{A}{L}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{E}{J}[/itex]
E = [itex]\frac{V}{L}[/itex]
Je = qnμeE + qDe[itex]\frac{dn}{dx}[/itex]

Jh = qpμhE + qDh[itex]\frac{dp}{dx}[/itex]
i = [itex]\frac{V}{R}[/itex]
n0p0 = n2i

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by finding R:

R = ρ[itex]\frac{L}{A}[/itex] = (0.1Ω-cm)[itex]\frac{(1cm)}{(1cm^{2})}[/itex] = 0.1Ω

Then, the total current is:

I = [itex]\frac{V}{R}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(0.1mV)}{(0.1Ω)}[/itex] = 1mA

p0 = [itex]\frac{n^{2}_{i}}{n_{0}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(1.5x10^{10})^{2}}{10^{14}}[/itex] = 225x104/cm3

p1 = [itex]\frac{n^{2}_{i}}{n_{1}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(1.5x10^{10})^{2}}{10^{5}}[/itex] = 225x1013/cm3

Now, [itex]\frac{dp}{dx}[/itex] = 225x1013/cm4 and [itex]\frac{dn}{dx}[/itex] = -1x1014/cm4, since dx = 1cm.

Which values would I use for n and p in the following equations, assuming the above steps are correct?

Je = qnμeE + qDe[itex]\frac{dn}{dx}[/itex]

Jh = qpμhE + qDh[itex]\frac{dp}{dx}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The values for n and p in the above equations would be n = 1014/cm3 and p = 105/cm3, as given in the problem statement. These values represent the electron and hole concentrations at the two opposite sides of the cube.

1. What is p-type silicon?

P-type silicon is a type of semiconductor material that has been doped with impurities, specifically acceptor atoms such as boron, to create a majority of positively charged holes in the material. This creates a positively charged region, or p-type, within the silicon crystal structure.

2. How is current generated through p-type silicon?

Current is generated through p-type silicon when a potential difference, or voltage, is applied across the material. This causes the majority carriers, the positively charged holes, to move towards the negatively charged region, creating a flow of charge or current through the material.

3. What is the role of impurities in p-type silicon?

The impurities, specifically acceptor atoms, in p-type silicon play a crucial role in creating a majority of positively charged holes in the material. This allows for the generation of current when a voltage is applied across the material.

4. How does p-type silicon differ from n-type silicon?

P-type silicon differs from n-type silicon in terms of the majority carrier type. While p-type silicon has a majority of positively charged holes, n-type silicon has a majority of negatively charged electrons. This change in majority carrier type is achieved through the use of different impurities during the doping process.

5. What are some real-world applications of p-type silicon?

P-type silicon is commonly used in the production of diodes, transistors, and other electronic devices. It is also an important component in solar cells, where the movement of charge through p-type silicon is used to generate electricity from sunlight.