Basis/Solution set/linear algebra

• Thread starter fsm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary: Thanks again.In summary, you set up an equation where A=-2 and put it in rref to get: 1 and -2. From here, you solve for x and y. You find that x=-2 and y=1. z=0.
fsm

Homework Statement

Find the basis of the solution space of the homogeneous system of linear equations.
x-2y+3z=0
-3x+6y-9z=0

Homework Equations

Ax=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I first set up my equation
[tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 2 & -3 \\ -3 & 6 & 9 \end{array} \right][/tex]*[tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} x \\ y \\ z \end{array} \right][/tex]=0

Then I put A in rref to get:
[tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & -2 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right][/tex]

So I get the system:
x-2y=0
z=0

From here I'm lost. I don't know if I should paramterize or what. I did try setting z=t x=s, but the vectors I got were not correct. Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
you made a mistake

you should get x - 2y + 3z = 0

Look at your matrix, where you have a 2 you should have -2, and where you have a -3 you should have a 3

Thanks for your help. I incorrectly labeled those values. Actually on my paper have those values correct. What you did make me do was double check my work and I did 9 instead of -9. The answer checks.

fsm said:

Homework Statement

Find the basis of the solution space of the homogeneous system of linear equations.
x-2y+3z=0
-3x+6y-9z=0
In my (not so humble) opinion, too many students get the idea that "linear algebra" is all about "matrices". To combat that, I prefer to avoid using them for problems like this.
The first thing I would do is try to "solve" those equations in the "usual" way: seeing "x" in one and "-3x" in the other I multiply the first equation by 3 and add to the second equation. Much to my surprise, everything cancels! That tell me that the two equations are not independent and there really is just one equation there: x- 2y+ 3z= 0.

Okay, that means every <x, y, z> in the solution space must satisfy x- 2y+ 3z= 0. I can pick two of the variables to be anything I want, and solve for the third. That means the solution space is 2 dimensional and I need 2 basis vectors. As I said, I could let any two variables be any two numbers I want. Since it is easy to solve for x: x= 2y- 3z, I can choose y and z to be whatever I want. I prefer to use 1 and 0. (I have a preference for really easy numbers!)

If y= 1 and z= 0, then x= 2(1)-3(0)= 2. <2, 1, 0> is in the solution space. If y= 0 and z= 1, then x= 2(0)- 3(1)= -3. <-3, 0, 1> is also in the solution space. It is easy to see those are independent (it is a result of choosing "0, 1" and "1, 0") so a basis for the solution space is {<2, 1, 0>, <-3, 0, 1>}.

You say that the vectors you got were "not correct". How did you determine that? You should realize that there are an infinite number of correct answers so your (correct) answer might well be different from that got by someone else or given in your text.

Homework Equations

Ax=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I first set up my equation
[tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 2 & -3 \\ -3 & 6 & 9 \end{array} \right][/tex]*[tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} x \\ y \\ z \end{array} \right][/tex]=0

Then I put A in rref to get:
[tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & -2 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right][/tex]

So I get the system:
x-2y=0
z=0

From here I'm lost. I don't know if I should paramterize or what. I did try setting z=t x=s, but the vectors I got were not correct. Any help would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy,

I just wanted to say thank you for your wonderful explanation. Google brought me to this page and your explanation of the problem truly helped my understanding. I registered an account just now just so I could thank you for the great work you have done.

All the best.

1. What is a basis in linear algebra?

A basis in linear algebra is a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. This means that any vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors. In other words, the basis forms a "building block" for the vector space.

2. How do you find the basis of a vector space?

To find the basis of a vector space, you can use the method of Gaussian elimination to reduce a set of vectors to their row-echelon form. The non-zero rows of the resulting matrix will form the basis for the vector space.

3. What is a solution set in linear algebra?

A solution set in linear algebra refers to the set of all possible solutions to a system of linear equations. This set can be empty, contain a single solution, or contain an infinite number of solutions. The solution set can also be expressed as a linear combination of vectors.

4. How do you determine if a system of linear equations has a solution?

A system of linear equations has a solution if and only if the rank of the coefficient matrix is equal to the rank of the augmented matrix. This means that the number of linearly independent equations must be equal to the number of unknown variables in the system.

5. What is the relationship between a basis and a solution set?

The basis of a vector space is closely related to the solution set of a system of linear equations. The basis vectors form a linearly independent set of vectors that can be used to express the solution set of the system. In other words, the solution set is a linear combination of the basis vectors.