Work-Kinetic Energy Theorum Problem

• Thread starter ariana0923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the car starts from rest at the top of a sloped driveway that has an angle of 20 degrees. The friction force acts in the opposite direction of the work being done, so the car's speed at the bottom of the driveway is 3.8 meters per second.
ariana0923

Homework Statement

A 2.1 x 10^3 kg car starts from rest at the top of a driveway that's sloped at an angle of 20.0 degrees with the horizontal. An avg. friction force of 4.0 x 10^3 impedes the cars motion so that the cars speed at the bottom of the driveway is 3.8m/s. What is the length of the driveway?

Homework Equations

Wnet = change in KE
KE=1/2mv^2
(so you can substitute it)
Wnet = Fdcos(angle)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm racking my brain here! I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

Wnet = (Fnet)(d)(cos angle)
Wnet = change in KE
Wnet = (KE f) - (KE i)
Wnet = KEf - 0
Wnet = 1/2mvf^2

*****note mvf is mass(final velocity)^2*****

1/2mvf^2 = Fdcos(angle)
1/2(2.1 x 10^3)(14.44) = 4.0 x 10^3(cos 20) (d)
15,162 = 3758.77d
d=4.03 m

**The book's answer is 5.1 m

Now, I'm not sure how to handle the fact that friction is acting in the opposite direction that the work is being done, so i don't know how to account for that negative work, since the answer is not negative.

But other than that, i don't know how to get 5.1

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The car starts from the top of a slope... that means there's some gravitational potential energy you haven't included.

physics girl phd said:
The car starts from the top of a slope... that means there's some gravitational potential energy you haven't included.

That can't be though...I wrote everything the problem said. Plus, this section does not cover grav. potential energy, so it cannot be in the problem (the next section talks about it).

Regardless of where it's discussed in your text, you have to include the effect of the gravitational force, which is doing work on the object to change some of the energy of the object from potential energy to kinetic energy.

If you decide to treat it as a force... draw a free body diagram of the object on a slope. there should be three forces, the gravitational force, the friction force, and the support force of the slope (the normal force).

1) Gravitational force does work on the object to put energy in (in a certain manner dependent on the slope)... let's call that POSITIVE work.
2) The friction force takes energy away from the object (NEGATIVE work).
3) The final energy of the object (it's kinetic energy) is the positive work done on the object minus the negative work.

Thats a way of doing it without the definition of gravitational potential energy.

1. What is the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem Problem?

The Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem Problem is a physics problem that involves determining the work done on an object by a net force and the change in the object's kinetic energy. It is based on the principle that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

2. How is the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem Problem solved?

The Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem Problem is solved by first calculating the work done on the object by multiplying the force applied by the distance the object moves. Then, the change in the object's kinetic energy is calculated by subtracting its initial kinetic energy from its final kinetic energy. Finally, the two values are equated to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are the units for work and kinetic energy?

The units for work are Joules (J), while the units for kinetic energy are also Joules (J). This is because both work and kinetic energy are forms of energy, which is measured in Joules.

4. Can the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem can be applied to all types of motion, as long as there is a net force acting on the object. This includes linear motion, rotational motion, and even oscillatory motion.

5. How is the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem related to the Law of Conservation of Energy?

The Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem is related to the Law of Conservation of Energy because it is based on the idea that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In this case, the work done on an object is transformed into a change in its kinetic energy, but the total amount of energy remains constant.