Binding energy of a nucleon virus an electron

In summary, the energy that binds an electron to the hydrogen nucleus is 13.4 eV. The ratio of binding energy per nucleon to binding energy per electron in deuterium is approximately 83,000. This suggests that the neutron is held more tightly than the electron. However, it should be noted that the units of MeV/c^2 for binding energy are considered unorthodox.
ND3G
The energy that binds an orbiting electron to the hydrogen nucleus is 13.4 eV. Calculate the ratio of the binding energy per nucleon to the binding energy per electron in deuterium. Which part is held more tightly, the electron or the neutron?

I already worked out the average binding energy per nucleon as 1.112 MeV/c^2 in the last question.

1 eV = 1.0*10^6 MeV/C^2 (as per Google), so wouldn't that make the binding energy of an electron much stronger than that of a neutron?

Do I have this mixed up?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's really mixed up. Why are you dividing energies by c^2? Are you trying to convert to a rest mass? And in any event, 1eV=10^(-6)MeV. The neutron is way stronger bound. Take a stress pill and try to relax.

Ah yes, ^(-6) makes all the difference in the world.

I have divided energies by c^2 because mass and energy are interchangeable as per E=mc^2. The average binding energy is either (kg), (u), or (MeV/c^2).

Using the revised equation, I conclude that the nucleon's average binding energy is approximately 83,000 times stronger than that of the the electron.

Does anyone agree, or disagree?

Last edited:
Hard to argue with the numbers. BTW mass and energy are interchangeable - but they do have different units. It's a bit ungrammatical to call MeV/c^2 a 'binding energy'. It's a 'binding energy mass equivalent'.

I find it a bit unorthodox myself but I am trying to stay within the confines of my text material.

Thank you for your help.

1. What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the amount of energy required to separate a nucleus or particle into its individual components. In the case of a nucleon, it is the energy needed to break apart the nucleus into its constituent protons and neutrons.

2. How is binding energy measured?

Binding energy is typically measured in units of MeV (mega electron volts). This is a unit of energy commonly used in physics to measure the amount of energy released or absorbed in nuclear reactions.

3. What is the role of binding energy in a virus?

The binding energy of a virus refers to the energy required to break the bonds between the virus and its host cell. This energy is important as it determines the strength of the virus' attachment to the host cell and its ability to infect and replicate within the host.

4. How is the binding energy of a nucleon virus an electron calculated?

The binding energy of a nucleon virus an electron is calculated using the mass defect principle. This principle states that the mass of a nucleus is always less than the sum of the masses of its individual nucleons. The difference in mass is converted into energy according to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc².

5. How does the binding energy of an electron differ from that of a nucleon virus?

The binding energy of an electron refers to the energy required to remove an electron from an atom. It is typically much smaller than the binding energy of a nucleon virus, which involves breaking apart the strong nuclear forces holding the nucleus together.