Correct statement regarding the graph of binding energy per nucleon

In summary, option C is the correct answer because either fusion or fission will bring the product to Q, regardless of the mass numbers of the original atomic species. The formation of heavier elements past iron occurs through fusion in stars. Option D is incorrect because nuclei in region R are more likely to undergo fission, but fusion and fission reactions both release energy. Therefore, the correct answer is C.
songoku
Homework Statement
The graph below shows how the binding energy per nucleon of a nucleus varies with mass number A
(graph is given below)

Let region P is around mass number equals to 5, region Q is around mass number equals to 50 and region R is around mass number equals to 200

Which one of the following statements is not true?
a. The binding energy per nucleon increases most significantly at lower nucleon numbers
b. Nuclei in region Q are more stable than nuclei in region R
c. Nuclear fusion reaction bring nuclei closer to region Q
d. Energy is released in nuclear fission reactions from nuclei in region R
Relevant Equations
Not sure
Option A is correct because the graph increases sharply at lower nucleon number

Option B is correct because higher binding energy per nucleon means more stable

Option C is correct because either fusion or fission will bring the product to Q

So my guess the answer is D but I do not understand why

Thanks
bindenrg.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Option C is correct because either fusion or fission will bring the product to Q
Regardless of the mass numbers of the original atomic species?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Regardless of the mass numbers of the original atomic species?

Yes I think so

songoku said:
Yes I think so
Then how are elements past Iron created?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Then how are elements past Iron created?
Ah I see. In star the formation of heavier element than iron is through fusion. So the answer should be C.

Thank you very much

Sorry haruspex, my friend said the answer to this question is D (based on the answer key)

songoku said:
Sorry haruspex, my friend said the answer to this question is D (based on the answer key)
I didn't study D. Yes, that is wrong, but I had not interpreted the question as implying only one was wrong. I believe the correct answer is C and D.

Likes songoku
I am sorry for late reply

Why is option D wrong? I think nuclei in region R will be more likely to undergo fission and fission reaction also releases energy

Thanks

songoku said:
I am sorry for late reply

Why is option D wrong? I think nuclei in region R will be more likely to undergo fission and fission reaction also releases energy

Thanks
Sorry, I have no idea why I wrote that. Must have misread something.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Sorry, I have no idea why I wrote that. Must have misread something.
So in your opinion C is the answer? Thanks

songoku said:
So in your opinion C is the answer? Thanks
Yes.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Yes.
Thank you very much haruspex

1. What is binding energy per nucleon?

Binding energy per nucleon is the amount of energy required to completely separate a nucleon (proton or neutron) from the nucleus of an atom.

2. Why is binding energy per nucleon important?

Binding energy per nucleon is important because it helps us understand the stability of an atom. Atoms with higher binding energy per nucleon are more stable and less likely to undergo nuclear reactions.

3. How is binding energy per nucleon calculated?

Binding energy per nucleon is calculated by dividing the total binding energy of the nucleus by the number of nucleons in the nucleus.

4. What does the graph of binding energy per nucleon show?

The graph of binding energy per nucleon shows the relationship between the number of nucleons in an atom and its binding energy per nucleon. It typically has a peak at iron (Fe) where the binding energy per nucleon is the highest, indicating that iron is the most stable element.

5. What does a steep increase or decrease in binding energy per nucleon on the graph indicate?

A steep increase in binding energy per nucleon on the graph indicates a more stable nucleus, while a steep decrease indicates a less stable nucleus. This can help us understand the likelihood of nuclear reactions occurring in different elements.